Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Done with Breadboard — Parallax Forums

Done with Breadboard

Link774Link774 Posts: 5
edited 2009-01-02 23:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hi folks,

I have (almost) finished my project and am planning to put it in a wooden box. Of course, I don't want to put my Board of Education in there, so I was wondering if there was a tutorial somewhere on how to take a project off of your prototyping board.

I'm thinking I'll get one of those boards at radio shack that have a number of copper pads, get a socket for the BS2 so I can remove and reprogram it if necessary. I'll need something to hold the battery, too and some kind of switch to turn it on and off. Do I need anything else? I would guess that I would need something to regulate the voltage, right?

Anything else that I am missing? My project is just a BS2 hooked up to an LCD for input and output.

Thanks!

Link774

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-12-31 03:35
    Link774,

I think you want a Super Carrier Board. See here - http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampDevelopmentBoards/tabid/137/CategoryID/12/List/0/SortField/0/catpageindex/2/Level/a/ProductID/122/Default.aspx

It is a great way to do what you are talking about and designed for exactly that. I think the price is very reasonable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 12/31/2008 3:50:44 AM GMT
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-12-31 04:23
    Link: Whit's suggestion is super, the carrier board fills the bill. If you like, you can also make your own board from a proper-sized board from "the shack" and a 24-pin socket for the Stamp. The Stamp can regulate its own power if you input 6-15 volts to Vin (pin24) and don't pull a lot of extra current from the Stamp's 5V regulator output on pin 21. Otherwise, to pull a lot of regulated 5V current for external hardware, you can mount a 7805 regulator or equivalent, and use that to power the Stamp into pin 21. Use a nice big electrolytic filter cap across your Stamp power inputs (+5V pin 24 and ground, pin 23). You only need 4 connections to program the Stamp. That giant 9-pin serial connector can go. You can roll your own cable and connector from a standard 4-pin header or a (nice but hard to find) 4-conductor 1/8 plug. Adapt & overcome!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Link774Link774 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-01-02 02:47
    Thanks for the tips guys! I don't really have the patience to wait for a carrier board in the mail, so I think I'm going to go the DIY route.

The only thing hooked up to my Stamp is a Matrix Orbital LK204-25 (SIN, SOUT, VIN, and VSS).· It pulls 110mA with the backlight on, does that qualify for 'a lot' of extra current? If not, it seems like this will be quite simple!

Link774
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-01-02 03:33
    You'll need a separate voltage regulator to power the LCD. The voltage regulator on the Stamp is rated for 50 mA, and part of that power is needed to drive the Basic Stamp itself.
  • Link774Link774 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-01-02 22:43
    Good thing I asked! I stopped by radio shack and got a board. Here is how I'm going to do it, will this work? I don't know much about electrical stuff...I'm just sort of hacking together this project. Sorry it isn't in schematic form, I don't know how to draw it properly.

1230940117060297000.jpg

Link774
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-02 23:09
    Just move your 47uF filter cap from the 7805 input to the 5V output (and ground) and you're golden.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."