Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eapug — Parallax Forums

Eapug

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2008-12-31 02:56 in Propeller 1
I've been busy... and missing you guys.

I would like formally announce the formation of the East African Propeller Users Group...

I'm looking for hardware donations....for the University of Nairobi... a Catholic Middle School and a primary school. which has neither water nor electricity.

EAPUG

Hosea (of Nairobi) is the treasurer... I'm the President for life [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich tongue.gif

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-31 02:13
    Oh do give the details! EAPUG sound interesting! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Do we have the third world designing their own portable computers yet? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-12-31 02:26
    I'm still stunned by my experience... the opportunities abound... and the need is endless... and this is really not the place.

But the Propeller is the answer to a lot of questions... I made the best case I could ... all the way from the lack of intellectual property claims and freedom from patent claims to ease of use... I was greeted everywhere by the finest people.

At the UofN... I met a physicist who had to build his own micro-controller and had never heard of the Propeller...

At Lira Hospital in Uganda... I found a water system for an entire district which either had a worn out battery or a controller that didn't work... no diagrams to work with... left after a few hours.

Still working on it.

The biggest shock was the incidence of HIV... seeing a 13 year old die is never easy... but seeing him die with no care is beyond my comprehension.

Rich
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-31 02:39
    rjo_ said...

At Lira Hospital in Uganda... I found a water system for an entire district which either had a worn out battery or a controller that didn't work... no diagrams to work with... left after a few hours.

Still working on it.

You've got some idea of the needs. Perhaps you can narrow down to a single
    project which this community could pitch-in on. It's said that one can eat an
    elephant if you take small bites.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
    edited 2008-12-31 02:43
    I just don't know... I'll think about it... but I just don't know. There is so much that is needed... and most of it has to come from Africa...

The boy I mentioned had a father... he died on Sunday.

Rich
    edited 2008-12-31 02:56
    AND the father was involved with a foundation that I am trying to help... and what was his job?

Building a medical clinic... to treat AIDS in the outback of Uganda.

Go figure...

I'm sort of in a state of shock...i thought I had seen everything... Palestine... the Punjab... Russia... Central America...

I've never seen anything like East Africa... and it is rich compared to Central Africa[noparse];)[/noparse]

It is easy to see what they need next... what is hard is figuring out how they are going to get it.

If nothing changes, they will have food riots next year.

Rich