Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has this been done yet - a port of the old ascii text game called "hack"? — Parallax Forums

Has this been done yet - a port of the old ascii text game called "hack"?

soshimososhimo Posts: 215
edited 2008-12-30 06:04 in Propeller 1
I played this game about 20 years ago on an XT (and later 286). It was fun and addicting. I was wondering if anyone has done this for the Hydra/Prop yet. I don't want to reinvent the wheel but I think this would be a fun start. It's not as processing intensive as graphics - collision detection is super simple: if( !cellIsEmpty( player.x, player.y ) ) and rendering is simple as well. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-28 20:41
    hack was a great game for the PC!

This isn't hack, but it's close..
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=655083

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • soshimososhimo Posts: 215
    edited 2008-12-28 23:27
    @obc - Yes, Hack was a Rogue clone or was inspired by Rogue so it shares a lot of similarities. Hack added pets, pet shops (where you can buy a pet), and a few other things. IMO it's one of the main impetuses (sp?) behind the influx of MUD games in the 80s, though I've also heard that the old school game Adventure had a lot of influence, I tend to think both genres were influenced by Adventure. At any rate, it seems as if it's been done already. I forgot to search for Rogue. redface.gif
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-12-29 22:29
    @soshimo
    I loved Hack!· Great game.· Hack and SST (Super Star Trek) were great text-based games.· Kind of suprised no one has ported SST yet.· I have been thinking about porting an old BBS door game like·SRE (Solar Realms Elite) or Tradewars to the Propeller.· Might be my next project.· If you did make a Hack-clone, it would be great--but you might have something else in mind already.

Post Edited (trodoss) : 12/29/2008 10:34:53 PM GMT
    edited 2008-12-30 05:00
    @trodoss - I remember SST - that was the best text base game ever. It's amazing how much more immersive the games were when you didn't have so much eye candy to look at. Probably why I love retro gaming so much. I also remember SRE and TW! Those would also be a fun games. Hmm, time to break out the google gloves and start searching. I remember playing the games, just no details about them other than the great gameplay elements. If you'd like to collaborate on a project feel free to drop me a line.
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-12-30 05:22
    @soshimo
    PM'ed you some links for SRE, TW, and SST.
    edited 2008-12-30 06:04
    Nice! Thanks trodoss, I'll definitely have a look at those tonight.