Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie Needs Help! — Parallax Forums

Newbie Needs Help!

bkirkbybkirkby Posts: 6
edited 2009-01-07 20:14 in BASIC Stamp
I am totally new to BASIC, Stamps, programming, etc. but have decided I want to learn on a project I am trying to make. I need some help though...

What I am trying to do:
Build a population clock using Nixie tubes for the numeric display. Basically a clock that, roughly, adds 2.5 units to a pre-defined number once the clock is started.

What I need:
To be pointed in the right direction...
I am thinking that I want to build this using BASIC cause I can program that on my Mac, using MACBS2. Will this work for the above project?
Also, if it will work, what kind of hardware will I need? I am considering getting a development board, BOE, but I would like to use that for other things once this project is done.

Any help with any of this would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ben

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-28 00:56
    You can use MacBS2. It works great for all the Stamps except the newest model, the BS2px.

You will need some high voltage transistors to control the Nixie tubes. Someone did a clock using Nixies for the display. Browse through the Completed Projects forum. You may find some schematics you can borrow from.

You can also search the web. One article I found: www.glowbug.nl/neon/HowToDriveNixies.html. There were many others.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-12-28 01:40
    I did the Nixie clock, or at least one of them. I used 74HC595 shift registers to drive SN74141 Nixie driver chips. Very simple, and I have a code snip if you like. You can also use MPSA42 or 43 transistors instead of the SN74141. You can also get Russian Nixie driver chips, I forget the part number, but they are considered quite reliable. It's fun to have chips marked in Russian. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Check out Neonixie.com for a nice switchmode PSU kit for the Nixies. There is also a great Yahoo Nixie group with very helpful folks.

What tubes are you using? I have a couple of clocks, a hot tub temp. display, and a kitchen timer all using Nixies for the display. I just love Nixies. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • bkirkbybkirkby Posts: 6
    edited 2009-01-07 01:06
    Thanks for the help!

I just got some Russian IN-8's for my Nixie project. Let me ask you this, what would be the best route to go for a total newbie, resistors or the Russian controller chips?

Also, would it be possible to use just 1 BS2 to drive all 10 Nixie tubes? I know there are space limits and variable length limits so I worry that one chip would not be able to handle the 10 digit number.

Right now I am about to order 1 BS2 but not sure what board I would need to put it on in order to drive this clock. I can use the BOE but something permanent would also be good.

Thanks again for all your help!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-01-07 01:41
    The SN74141 or the Russian equivilent are the easiest for sure. And you can run the ten nixies using just 3 I/O pins from the Stamp. You can cascade the 74HC595's, and each can run two nixie drivers. So, you would need 5*74HC595's and ten 74141 or equivilents. As I said, this will let ya run all ten from three I/O pins, so one Stamp is plenty.

I think Parallax sells the '595's. There is a great Nuts and Volts colum, available for download, that has a tutorial and sample code and schematic for the cascaded '595 circuit. This is actually a very easy project, just be careful with the high voltage for the nixies. Smarts and fries chips instantly. Don't use a simple xfrmr or doubler to get the high voltage unless you know how to work safely with mains power. Use a switching supply, much safer. Also make sure to use the correct current limiting resistor for your nixies.

If you need help once you get all the parts, make a new thread with nixie in the title. That will catch my eye, "newbie needs help" is a common subject line.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • bkirkbybkirkby Posts: 6
    edited 2009-01-07 02:08
    Thanks Jonathan!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-07 20:14
    Ben,

In future posts please try to use a descriptive subject line that tells forum members what your post is about. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering