Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keyboard socket template — Parallax Forums

Keyboard socket template

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2008-12-27 18:55 in Propeller 1
I'm trying to add a PS/2 socket, like the one on the protoboard, to my PCB. I know alot of people have used a socket like this, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of where to get the EAGLE library template for this component. I know this isn't an EAGLE forum, but like I said, so many people have interfaced this with the propeller and made their own PCB's, just like I'm doing.

So, where can I find the EAGLE PCB template for this 7 pin socket?

Comments

• parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-27 04:25
    The Library it's in is called "Mini_din" and the device is called "m_din6"

It's a 6 pin mini din, not 7.

I think that library comes standard with with Eagle. if it's not there, you can download it from
    cadsoftusa.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?page=/home/cadsoft/html_public/download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/libraries

you have to move the file to your "lbr" folder and then inside of Eagle you have to "Library", then "Use..." before that library will show up to pick a component from.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-12-27 04:54
    Oh, thank you so much Brian. I thought it was a 7 pin because the case was ground... Guess not. I can't thank you enough! [noparse]:D[/noparse]
    edited 2008-12-27 07:03
    Well, parts-man, do you know of any SD Card socket templates in EAGLE as well?
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2008-12-27 07:12
    I just found this part last week too after a helpful suggestion from this forum. For some reason the 6 pin library part has a pin 8 on it and other numbers are missing. The numbers don't appear to correspond to the actual layout so put it on your board, connect up 5V, 0V, Data and Clock where you *think* they should be, then double and triple check the actual board layout to check they are connecting to the right pins. I am not in front of the computer that has my PCB circuits, but if you post which pins you think should go where I can double check when I get home from work.

The mini_din in that library is the best part. There actually is another mini din6 hidden away in the yamaichi parts of the standard eagle library, but the problem with that part is the 3 tabs to hold the socket in place don't come with solder around them. So use the mini-din from that library mentioned by partsman73 because it will be mechanically stronger too.

Coincidentally, on searching through the yamaichi parts I did find an SD card layout. It appears to be surface mount. See if it will do what you want.

Post Edited (Dr_Acula (James Moxham)) : 12/27/2008 7:25:37 AM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-12-27 07:51
    The pins are numbered from right to left, and bottom to top:

www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/specs/20-0680e.pdf

The basic socket has 8 pins and 2 pins are omitted for the 6 pin one, hence the presence of pin 8.

The above doc. includes the footprint details, if you want to check the Eagle ones.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-12-27 08:26
    At www.sparkfun.com the following parts have links to their respective SparkFun tested Eagle templates. It's always good to have a template known to work with the actual part you're buying. (BTW, I don't work for SparkFun):

1. Mini-DIN socket part number PRT-08509... $0.95 USD ea., in-stock.

2. microSD Socket part number PRT-00127... $3.95 USD ea. (ouch), out of stock.

3. SD/MMC Socket part number PRT-00136... $3.95 USD ea. (ouch again), out of stock.

For the out of stock items, you can download the manufacturer's data sheet from the Sparkfun page. That may allow you to find it elsewhere.

Good Luck, David

Post Edited (Drone) : 12/27/2008 8:39:36 AM GMT
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2008-12-27 10:42
    I hope no-one tells me this is wrong but on the schematic:
    1=data, 3=0V, 5=5V and 6=clock
    2 and 8 are not connected
    4 and 7 are not on the part.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-27 15:10
    PhilldaPill said...
    Well, parts-man, do you know of any SD Card socket templates in EAGLE as well?

I rolled my own, I did not find any pre-made libraries for the socket I wanted to use. It's surface mount, I don't know if I've ever seen an SD socket that wasn't SMD. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy if you'd like.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    edited 2008-12-27 18:55
    Yeah, for the DIN socket, I just looked at one of my protoboards for the pinout. Pretty simple and straight forward.

Now for a new question - Can't the keyboard object be used with a USB keyboard by replacing the DIN socket with just a USB socket? I mean, there are no electronics in the USB to PS/2 adapter(I think), so isn't it just a matter of pins? USB is still 0V, 5V, CLOCK, DATA... Right?