Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Burn to RAM? — Parallax Forums

Burn to RAM?

KomaruKomaru Posts: 10
edited 2008-12-26 16:54 in Propeller 1
Hey, I'm new to the Parallax Forums, but I've developing games for quite a while now.
Well, it's kind of a hassle for me to move my computer over to the TV just so I can play my game. So I was just wondering if there's any way to burn the .spin files onto the RAM when I'm finished with the game.

Thanks for all your help!
-Komaru

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-26 15:43
    The standard Propeller setup includes an EEPROM to store the program. The "Run" menu item includes "Run RAM" which compiles the program and downloads it to RAM and "Run EEPROM" which compiles the program, downloads it to RAM, then copies it to the EEPROM. When you restart the Propeller or power it up, the program normally gets copied from EEPROM to RAM, then executed (which is what you want to do).

So use "Run EEPROM" once you have your game ready to use, then you can detach the Propeller from your computer and move it over to your TV.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-12-26 15:51
    Komaru,

Check out page 17 "Hardware connections" of the Propeller Manual (there should be a link to it in the help section of your IDE.) You can add an eeprom to the chip to allow you to do just that!

-Parsko
  • KomaruKomaru Posts: 10
    edited 2008-12-26 15:52
    Ah, okay, I'll give that a try.
    Thanks!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-12-26 16:16
    Komaru, don't forget to share the games you make, with the rest of us [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-26 16:54
    You can also compile your code to a .Binary file and save it to an SD card. There are programs that can reside in the EEPROM that will load and execute Binaries from an SD card.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board