Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Relay needs for DC motor? — Parallax Forums

Relay needs for DC motor?

William BrownWilliam Brown Posts: 9
edited 2008-12-31 06:22 in BASIC Stamp
I have a standard DC continuous rotation motor (not a servo) that I need to run as fast as I can for a specified amount of time. I have a separate battery pack to run the motor from, and I assume I would use a relay connected to the stamp and to the motor's circuit. Use the controller to activate the relay, then the relay will activate the secondary motor circuit.

Lastly, to throw a kink into the works, I need to change the direction of the motor. So it will run one way for a bit, then evaluate a circumstance, and then go the other way.

OK, my question is, is this valid?

If so, what relay would you all suggest that I use to set this up? I don't want to fry my stamp.

Anyone have any ideas on a possible circuit to make this happen?

Post Edited (William Brown) : 12/25/2008 8:27:53 AM GMT

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-12-25 17:15
    Mr.Brown

Take a look at the HB-25 motor controller.It uses a servo input command to drive a DC Brush type motor up 25 Amps. Parallax Part#29144
    This motor controller will rev. direction of the motor and vary speed too.It also has a wide voltage range!

Limit switches "I like reeds with a magnet" and some simple code will help with Your "circumstance" to rev. the motor or stop it

Take a look at experiment#14 in the StampWorks Manuel

____________________$WMc%____________Merry Xmas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there

Post Edited ($WMc%) : 12/25/2008 5:21:06 PM GMT
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-12-25 19:45
    William:

I had a post on an H-bridge using relays at··http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=749676 that might get you going. I'm a fan of dynamic braking (DB)·on small motors & robots (6 volts, 1 amp or less). If you don't want DB or are using larger motors & currents, you'll want a different approach. See the rambling thread at

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=727502

Relays are cheap, easy to use and very reliable.

erco

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."

Post Edited (erco) : 12/25/2008 7:52:27 PM GMT
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-12-27 05:38
    erco said...

I'm a fan of dynamic braking (DB)·on small motors & robots (6 volts, 1 amp or less).

Me, now, I'm a fan of dynamic braking on motors of any size.· It works nicely on the 2-hp induction motor on a reversible winch I recently built for use in raising tower sections and antennas.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • apstinkyapstinky Posts: 7
    edited 2008-12-31 06:22
    i am currently using a 754410 motor driver (only like 2 bucks) its pretty simple to use, you can control 4 motors·i believe with it, and with some resistors and some pots you can control the speed

Post Edited (apstinky) : 12/31/2008 6:52:51 AM GMT