Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Current Sensing?? — Parallax Forums

Current Sensing??

ColtColt Posts: 24
edited 2008-12-25 20:12 in BASIC Stamp
Been a while since I've been on here, winter time, so it's time to start back with my favorite winter hobby..

I'm wondering what I can use for current sensing? I've searched the forum's, couldn't find anything. But I'm no internet "Ninja" either..

I've always been a nut about engines and electricity, so I like to combine them when I can.. For the past several yrs I've been playing with making homemade generators out of odd stuff, my favorite is a 4 stroke weedeater engine running a automotive alternator. I use it all the time, 4 yrs old, several hundred hrs of run time, I love it..

I've been wanting to build a start/stop generator, using a 4000W AC generator, as well as a automotive style alternator.. Just never really had a need for it, I've got AC generators, and DC generators, never needed both at the same time.. What I'm doing now is I'm going to take a 13HP electric start diesel engine ( if I go with a gas engine, I'll want to fuel inject it, which would put me over budget ), direct drive to a AC generator, and inbetween have a pulley that drives the alternator.. I want to use this for a enclosed race car trailer I'm getting ready to buy.. I want to run a bank of batteries that the lights run off of ( or other things ), and have the generator maintain batt voltage.. Voltage is easy, but I want the setup to start up at a certain voltage, but only shutoff when the amperage is down around 6 amp's ( give or take ), or start when amp draw is high.. What can I use to sense current? I have no experience in this, and I actually looked around last yr and never found what I was looking for..

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2008-12-25 05:00
    this is what i am doing with a prop but totally portable to a basic stamp.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=305434&g=305466#m305466

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-12-25 16:08
    I use Hall effect type sensors. Check out the Allegro ACS series and LEM's LTS series. The LEM modules are cooler as you can select the range of current by how it is configured. Both work well, I have some in service on a boat and some in my PV power system.

Both of them output 2.5 VDC with no current draw. Current in = higher than 2.5V, current out = less than 2.5V.

You can also use a current sense resistor and an ADC.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-12-25 20:12
    Colt

As posted above, a hall sensor can read the "gauss" on a wire or coil "better", It sees magnetic fields. The resister method is often refferd to as a "SHUNT". If one was to read the voltage across the "SHUNT" or resister, The current flow can be calculated.

______________$WMc%__________________Merry Xmas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there