Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where to start? — Parallax Forums

Where to start?

2600Hero2600Hero Posts: 1
edited 2008-12-25 20:37 in BASIC Stamp
Tomorrow for Christmas, i'll be getting the "What is a Microcontroller Activity Kit" as a Christmas Present and would like to know where i should start my learning.

Thanks,

2600Hero

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-12-25 02:58
    Seems like that comes with the book so I'd start on page one and go from there. Merry Christmas.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-25 07:24
    The tutorial "What's a Microcontroller?" explains how it all works and leads you step by step into learning how to program a Stamp and how to do basic I/O. Work through the examples and you'll be a pro in a short time.
  • William BrownWilliam Brown Posts: 9
    edited 2008-12-25 08:35
    I have the "What's a Microcontroller" kit. It's amazing. It's exactly what I was looking for. It's brought my programming into the real world. All of the little devices, and device hacking that I have wanted to do is starting to unfold.

If you have ever been curious about making your own devices (currently, I have two projects going, a RFID door lock, and a homemade GPS receiver) this is definitely a GREAT place to start. The kit brings a lot of information together, and will get you asking the correct questions to branch out your knowledge.

You'll have a great time. Start at the beginning and just work through the book. It's very well laid out. Enough information to give you what you need, and enough "hands OFF" on the projects to let you think for yourself and come up with the conclusion. I hate books that hold your hand too much.

Anyway, I'm rambling. You'll love it. [noparse]:D[/noparse]
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-25 20:37
    Once you finish with the print book, Parallax has all their Stamps in Class books available under the downloads section. You won't be able to do everything without the hardware, but you can learn about coding and electronics.