Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
fast switching relais — Parallax Forums

fast switching relais

indigo2indigo2 Posts: 25
edited 2008-12-25 11:46 in BASIC Stamp
i want to switch whit the basic stamp a relais for 1000 V.
I want to do that realy fast, is there a switch witch can do that for me?

sory i'm a beginner in the electronics so to say, i come from a programmingbackground, so sorry for that, but still learning every day [noparse];)[/noparse]

thank you in advance

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-24 15:14
    Look at the Nuts and Volts Column #6 here: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx

This discusses switching power for motors, solenoids, and relays using a Stamp and an external switching transistor or Darlington transistor array. The diagram on the last page shows the typical circuit. The details of the parts needed depend on the voltage and current being switched, but what's shown is typical for low power (6 - 15V and up to 1A).
  • indigo2indigo2 Posts: 25
    edited 2008-12-24 16:06
    so with the right transistor i'll be ok.

thank you so much for your time!!

i did had 1 year electrnics but that's a long time ago, time to find my old schoolbooks again.

thank you so much!!
    edited 2008-12-24 16:27
    those nasty negative spikes ej...lol, that's just what i'm trying to capture [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2008-12-24 17:29
    are you planning on switching dc, or ac, and if so,·do you need to have a true sinewave out or can it be ac rectified to dc? it would help if you explain what it is for, how much current, and how long you plan to use this, for about 50-100$ you can buy a IGBT that will run up to 1200v, it is essentaly two transistors tied together that can give you ac or dc or a combination of both, they are used on large motors and ac applications to control frequencys or duty. but without knowing what you plan to use it for, or the currents involved, i belive you may need to stay away from high voltage, as a matter of fact, 1000v is way too much switching voltage for any relay, and if you are looking to switch an inductive load, forget it.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2008-12-24 18:59
    With high voltages involved Opto isolation should be considered also.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-12-24 21:04
    There are HV relays, up to a few kV, available. However, they are neither fast nor cheap. How fast is fast? How much current? Tell us more about the project.

I have personally built a very slow and large HV relay for switching 12kV to charge a Marx bank. Was a major pain and had to be redesigned twice. It works quite well now though.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
    edited 2008-12-25 11:46
    i'm trying to built a window motor with hho cell(see you are also into that Jonathan nice[noparse];)[/noparse])
    like this
    but then alot BIGGER

i want to swith the radiant into a capacitor/batterie
    the spikes are about 700 V very fast

thank you so much for your answers!!