Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
femtobasic on hydra trying to interface SD Card — Parallax Forums

femtobasic on hydra trying to interface SD Card

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2009-01-01 03:52 in Propeller 1
Guys I have a proto board for the hydra expansion connector I whipped up a little proto block and I am· trying to connect an SD memory card using femtobasic, see photo

pinout
For
the Hydra version, P0 = I/O pin 16, P1 = I/O pin 17, P2 = I/O pin 18, and
P3 = I/O pin 19.
SD connector
SD CARD Socket Pin-out:
·
PIN············ SD CARD···················· Propeller

·1·(NC)
·2············· (PIN-9) DAT2··· Pull-up
·3··············(PIN-1) CS······· Pull-up··· P3
·4············· (PIN-2) DI······· Pull-up···· P2
·5············· (PIN-3) GND·················· GND
·6············· (PIN-4) +3.3················· VCC
·7············· (PIN-5) CLK····· Pull-up···· P1
·8············· (PIN-6) GND·················· GND·····
·9············· (PIN-7) DO······ Pull-up···· P0
10············· (PIN-8) DAT1·· Pull-up
11·(CD SW)

Where I am confused is the directions say connect P0= I/O pin 16 and P1= I/O pin 17· P2 18, P3, 19 and so on ..see the connection list above for Hydra this is taken right from femtobasics directions , my question is where is I/O pin 16,17,18,19 etc??? the pins do not go up that high on the SD card or on the Hydra expansion connector socket for the devlopers board ??? so are they refering directly to the 40 pin prop chip?? why wouldnt they use the expansion connector?? what am I missing thank you
1296 x 972 - 313K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-24 05:32
    I/O pins 16-19 refer to the Propeller chip's I/O pins. On the Hydra, these are wired to the first 4 I/O pins of the expansion connector (I/O 0-3).

The Hydra SD-MAX Expansion Card is essentially what you want. It includes some LEDs and an expansion EEPROM which you don't need. You can download the manual for this (see the link here: www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/hydra/List/1/ProductID/505/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName) and look on page 11 for a schematic.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 12/24/2008 5:37:38 AM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-24 14:10
    @Mikediv,

I don't see any connecting wires in your setup if that is a standard solderless breadboard.
    Looks like the resistors are isolated from the SD connections. Are there connections I don't see?
    Take a look at the 'cookbook' below and see if it helps along with Mike Green's reply.
    You might be able to remove the resistors for a simple test run.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2008-12-24 21:32
    Thanks Mike , Oldbit I pulled them off so the picture wouldnt look so busy , yes its just a breadbaord attached the expansion card that comes with the hydra, I wanted the solderless bread board for all the stuff I keep expermenting connecting to the thing.
    I figured it was somehting like that Mike I know the connector is 20 pins I just didnt know how they were equating the pins 16-19
    in relation to expansion connector
    ·
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-26 01:22
    but we like "busy" around here.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Let us know when you get it working.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-01-01 03:52
    Hey oldbit I am sorry I have not been back here in a while I don't know if you have noticed but I have been obsesed with trying to get an LCd from spark fun to work on my prop stick proto board with no luck at all I am pulling my hair out and will be dam#ed if I let this beat me, lol, I did get the SD card to work, I pulled apart a multi card reader for the socket they sell them for 7 bucks in walmart and you get a about 5 differant memory card slots, it only works with femtobasic but I did it myself hardware I kind of ripped off the code from everyone else. I want to get this huge lcd to work so I can set it up on the hydra and use it for debuging and to be honest I just want it to work at this point becuase it doesnt and I hate that lol, I follow a lot of your posts you are quite knowledgeable and I enjoy reading your posts, I hope to get this LCD to work so I can put it in finished projects there are more than a few people that went out and bought this from spark fun and so far I have not seen anyone get it running.
    or let me correct that at least no one has published a simple how to with pinouts to pinouts ..
    ·