Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can Propeller be made to use 24C128? — Parallax Forums

Can Propeller be made to use 24C128?

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2008-12-24 04:10 in Propeller 1
If my program size is small, can I use 24C128 eeprom instead of the usual 24C256 to save costs?

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
www.fd.com.my
www.mercedes.com.my

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-24 01:48
    Not really.

The Propeller Tool downloads the program to RAM, then instructs the Prop's bootloader to copy the program to the EEPROM. During that process, it checks to make sure the copy works properly and I believe that will fail if you don't have 32K of working EEPROM there.

Is there that much difference in cost between a 16K and a 32K EEPROM?
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-12-24 02:33
    Couldn't he just put the EEprom on different pins and load data to it after main program calls for it?

That's what I would try to do.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-12-24 03:26
    grasshopper,

I think he's trying to save money by using a smaller main EEPROM. Having an additional data EEPROM is not the objective.

William,

What you're trying to do is not impossible; but once I started to consider how it might be done, it rapidly became apparent that it wasn't worth the effort to do or to explain. Is there really a compelling cost differential, or are you just fishing?

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Just a few PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 12/24/2008 3:53:55 AM GMT
  • johnfl68johnfl68 Posts: 72
    edited 2008-12-24 03:44
    If you shop around for parts (depending on which form of that eprom he is considering) there really isn't a huge difference in price. Maybe $0.40 for that part, are you really saving a whole lot?

For those of you who don't already know, octopart is a good place to see who has the best prices on parts:

http://octopart.com/

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whistler: I want peace on earth and goodwill toward men.
    Bernard Abbott: We are the United States Government! We don't do that sort of thing.
    Sneakers (1992)
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2008-12-24 04:10
    I thought the difference was about USD 1 ( from RS ), but since it is too difficult like you guys said, then I guess it is more of a sourcing problem.

Sorry for the trouble.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my