Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Does Prop Chip In Hydra Have Different Firmware? — Parallax Forums

Does Prop Chip In Hydra Have Different Firmware?

soshimososhimo Posts: 215
edited 2008-12-24 04:12 in Propeller 1
Just wondering if the prop chip in the hydra has special firmware. I want to get into some game development (I was mobile games developer in a previous life tongue.gif) but can't afford the entry fee right now for the hydra board. I looked at the schematic and it looks like a basic propeller with some support circuitry for video/audio - as well as the 512kb expansion board (but I'm working on my own nvram/plc combo right now). The point is that I have everything I need already to duplicate the hardware - as long as the firmware isn't "special". TIA.

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-12-23 20:41
    Nothing special about the Propeller itself as used on the Hydra. It is all in the way it is wired. Just buy the book so you'll get the CD and software for the system and you can use the schematics in the book to wire one up from scratch. That was how I built mine and it worked out really well. You don/t need the cartridge adapter to start with but you can add that later with a standard edge card connector.

Robert
  • soshimososhimo Posts: 215
    edited 2008-12-23 21:09
    Thanks Robert - just ordered my book and got it in under the cutoff time too [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-12-24 04:12
    The book is well worth the money and a great reference. As you read through the book the schematic for the system is presented in small sections. It is all in there but you have to reference each piece as you go.

If you get stuck just post on the forums here and there will be plenty of people ready to help.

Have fun!

Robert