Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how do you tell if an i/o pin is damaged? — Parallax Forums

how do you tell if an i/o pin is damaged?

dexterdexter Posts: 5
edited 2009-01-02 17:20 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have·a problem with two of my i/o pins·and do not know for sure if they are damaged. 1 of the pins constantly outputs a 'high' while the other one·a·'low', regardless of the state assigned to them.

How do I know for sure? please advice.

Dexter

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-23 14:23
    If they really do that, they're broken. How are you measuring their state?

I'd put an LED/resistor on a good pin, get it blinking properly, then move it over to one of the suspect pins, change the code accordingly, and try it there. If it doesn't blink, it's a bad pin.
  • dexterdexter Posts: 5
    edited 2008-12-24 13:30
    I used a multimeter to measure the states. I guess that confirms my suspicion then, regretfully... sigh. Time to get a new stamp.

Thanks for your advice.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-24 14:30
    It would make sense at this point to try to figure out what damaged the pins. Do you know?

If not, you might post your suspicions, or at least descriptions of your projects using that Stamp, so the folks here who understand these things (not me...) can help you to avoid damaging another Stamp.

The good news? If you need another Stamp, it's a good time to buy one. Right now all of the Stamp modules are priced the same as the basic BS2. If all you've owned is the BS2, you might look over the Stamp Comparison chart:

www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/stampscomparison.pdf

I particularly like the 2px chip - it's fast, and has commands that make it easy to do I2C and One-Wire, and to work with parallel LCDs. Its only disadvantage is that it uses more power than the other modules.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-02 17:20
    For future reference you could go to the following link and use the schematic to test your BASIC Stamp using the provided test software. You’d need nothing more than some resistors and capacitors. I hope this helps. Take care.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=759839

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 1/2/2009 8:24:32 PM GMT