Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 Pro Dev Board & LCD — Parallax Forums

BS2 Pro Dev Board & LCD

churdchurd Posts: 9
edited 2008-12-23 03:39 in BASIC Stamp
I am currently teaching an intro to programming class at the high school level, and one of my students is trying to use the lcd panel that came with the pro dev board. (HD44780-compatible LCD module) They want to display "The button is:" on the first line, and "on" or "off" depending on the state of the button.

The button is attached to an I/O pin, and the LCD panel operates fine using the LCD Demo program in the manual.

I have very little knowledge about the lcd panel and it's operation, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a a program that will do something similar, that I can use as a starting point. It's a learning experience for me too! Eventually they want to hook up a temp sensor to the I/O pin, and read the temp.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate it!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-12-22 16:06
    There is quite a bit of info here http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/List/1/ProductID/50/Default.aspx?txtSearch=serial+lcd&SortField=ProductName%2cProductName·and there is also examples. Print the documentation so you have it for your students.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-12-22 16:23
    Hello,

Depending on how your code is structured you can either refresh the LCD when the button state has changed, or you can update it in real time and provide the on/off response via conditional branch or value. Your code structure for your main program will greatly depend on how you do this because there really is more than one way to accomplish it. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • churdchurd Posts: 9
    edited 2008-12-22 17:52
    Thanks guys! Just had class, and I have the downloaded examples, and some of the kids did too! I shared our post too Chris, and the kids can get a better idea that there is more than one way to do it. They took off running this morning!

Thanks again!
  • J^3J^3 Posts: 121
    edited 2008-12-23 00:56
    Churd,

··· I believe the LCD display that came with the Pro Developers Board for the BS2 is a parallel LCD display.· Attached is the datasheet for the processor on board the display.· There is also examples in the Nuts and Volts archives for this display.· You can find the NV articles here at parallax's site.

··· I would recomend ordering one of parallax's serial displays for your class.· They are very user friendly compared to the parallel display.

Happy Holidays.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 types of people that understand binary, those who do, and those who don't.
  • churdchurd Posts: 9
    edited 2008-12-23 03:39
    JJ:

Thanks! I think I will go with Serial for next year, as I am a Hardware guy, and user-friendly is my game! I will get the nuts & Volts articles, and check them out.

Thanks and have a great Holiday Season!

Only in Digital Electronics class is 1 + 1 = 10!!!!!