Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TV and VGA: how long of a cable can the Propeller drive? — Parallax Forums

TV and VGA: how long of a cable can the Propeller drive?

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2008-12-23 02:55 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

I'm interested in mounting a monitor (TV or VGA) up to about 60 feet (20 meters) away from my Propeller, so I was wondering how long of a cable can the Propeller drive to make that happen? Which would work best, TV or VGA? Also, which kind of economical cable would you recommend for the best performance?

thanks,
Mark

smile.gif

Comments

• grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-12-22 03:53
    I would say that it may work in a VGA cable, but its pushing it in my opinion. Perhaps coax cable would help due to the cables design that allows for this longer range. At my work we use VGA cables 6' long and measure very small voltages through them. This is why I say that it may work. I would create some type of buffer that increases signal strength from the propeller.

Post Edited (grasshopper) : 12/22/2008 4:01:33 AM GMT
  • sosaraujososaraujo Posts: 24
    edited 2008-12-22 04:14
    You should use some kind of amplifier www.lenexpo-electronics.com/1x8-SHINYBOW-VGA-AMPLIFIER-SPLITTER-p-16560.html

or this== images.google.com.ar/images?q=vga+amplifier+splitter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:es-AR[noparse]:o[/noparse]fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Adrian Sosa Araujo.- San Luis, ARG - Time Zone (GMT -3)
    El planteo de un problema es mas importante que su soluci
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-12-22 04:42
    I'd go with TV baseband (NTSC or PAL) and use RG59U cable. The 60-foot run should be no problem. However, you might want to consider one of the alternate video DAC circuits that I've posted here. The reason is that they're a better impedance match for the cable and monitor than the Parallax circuit, which should yield better performance over a long cable run (i.e. less ghosting due to reflections in the cable). Also, I wouldn't worry about adding a buffer amp. The DAC alone will handle the job adequately.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Just a few PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-12-22 21:36
    VGA cables... have internal coaxials for the three colors, good ones I mean, that is what the specification says anyways. Any KVM switch with a repeater should do. Phil is right, a better DAC may be the difference.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-12-22 22:33
    You dudes are Awesome!

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I think I'll try Phil's approach since it sounds like something my budget can handle.

cheers to all,
    Mark
  • johnfl68johnfl68 Posts: 72
    edited 2008-12-23 02:55
    I have run a prop through 100' of decent VGA cable, without any issues on several occasions, using the Demo Board circuit. But you don't want to go much more than 100' with any VGA source without using a DA (distribution amp).

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whistler: I want peace on earth and goodwill toward men.
    Bernard Abbott: We are the United States Government! We don't do that sort of thing.
    Sneakers (1992)