Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WIFI on a BS2 — Parallax Forums

WIFI on a BS2

dpeterson3dpeterson3 Posts: 4
edited 2008-12-21 17:36 in BASIC Stamp
I had an interesting idea for a project. The wireless mic band is being limited by the FCC, so why not create VoIP mics? I can get A/D converters cheap, and routers are cheap. I am also a good enough programmer to write an app to do the mixing. The problem I run into is getting the mics on a network. I figure I can take sound output and·feed it to a BS2. The BS2 can handle creating the·network stream.·I want to take a BS2 and interface it with one of those USB wifi adapters you can get cheap at any major electronics store. The problem is, I am not sure how to do it. I am looking at the FT232 USB to serial converter, but I am not sure if it will work. Has anyone got a stamp to interface successfully with WIFI or am I trying to do the impossible here?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-21 03:09
    The Stamps are not fast enough nor do they have enough memory to handle the datastreams. There are WiFi modules that interface over a serial connection that theoretically could be used. Maximum Baud is typically 115KB which could handle a lo-fi audio stream, but the Stamp can't provide it.

You could use a Propeller which can do the ADC itself and can handle the Ethernet (see ucontroller.com/documentation/PropNICDoc.html and www.deepdarc.com/ybox2/) although you'd have to write your own VoIP protocol stack.
  • dpeterson3dpeterson3 Posts: 4
    edited 2008-12-21 17:36
    Thanks. I was actually planning on using the Stamp as a test and then a Pic for the finial model. The code is essentially the same, but the PIC's are much faster and smaller.I look into the Propeller chips. Its been a while since I have checked into what's out there now.