Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can a USB 2.0 TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN CABLE ADAPTER GPS FTA be used to conver — Parallax Forums

Can a USB 2.0 TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN CABLE ADAPTER GPS FTA be used to conver

po2lepo2le Posts: 76
edited 2008-12-21 00:51 in BASIC Stamp
·I see·a USB 2.0 TO RS232 SERIAL DB9 9 PIN CABLE ADAPTER GPS FTA for sale on EBAY.· Its·shown on this address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140281171942&_trksid=p2759.l1259.
And described thusly:
·"USB to Serial adapter cable. It quickly converts any USB port to a DB9 serial port. This cable is a great way for serial devices to convert to USB. Creates a perfect solution for laptops that do not have a serial port and establishes a bridge between the serial device to the computer's USB port. Works on PDAs, digital cameras, modems, satellite FTA boxes and much more!"

Software is included with the cable, will this thing work on a BS2?

po2le
·

Comments

• GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2008-12-20 06:00
    Probobly will work, since they all seem the same to me. But I have serial so yay me
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-12-20 08:10
    It's very likely that it will work. Some such adapters (or their drivers), it's been said, don't implement all of the control lines, but I've never encountered one like that. All the ones I've seen work fine with a BS2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2008-12-20 20:30
    Carl Hayes said...
    (t's very likely that it will work. Some such adapters (or their drivers), it's been said, don't implement all of the control lines, but I've never encountered one like that. All the ones I've seen work fine with a BS2.)
    What will happen to my PC's USB ports if I use one of these along with the software provided?
    Will it screw up the USB's?· Or will they recognize the adapter only·when its being used?

Thank you
    Patrick
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-12-20 21:02
    If it "doesn't work", that simply means you can't use it for programming the BS2 -- the BS2 platform uses the "DTR" to reset the chip for programming, and some USB to Serial adapters don't support that control signal.

But it won't damage your computer.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-12-21 00:51
    I would take a look at the Parallax USB to serial(DB9) converter, Its dirt cheap, and it works.

_______________________$WMc%____________MerryXmas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there