Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stache limited to BS2 only? — Parallax Forums

Stache limited to BS2 only?

MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
edited 2010-08-21 11:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hello again, I have one single question on the Stache micro-programmer for BS2,
can I use this for the whole family of Basic Stamps or does it work only with the green BS2?
Asking because when identifying the computer see a BS2 ver 1.0.

·

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2008-12-18 18:09
    The Stamp Stache is compatible with all 24 pin BASIC Stamps.

Regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2008-12-18 18:21
    Ok, that's great!

Thanks again!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2008-12-18 18:29
    Also the 40 pin BS2p, or other products based on the BS2 family, such as the Stamp PLC, or Mobo, or OWL2pe.

The exception is the BS2px, which has a different baud rate for programming. EME Systems can provide a special version of the Stache for the BS2px.

Explanation for your observation: When identifying, the IDE first looks to see if there is a BS2 present, and the Stache answers back "yes". When programming, the IDE first checks to see if the Stamp specified in the top window is present, which is the one you want to program, and the Stache will answer "yes" to that too, because it can emulate any of them (except the BS2px or the BS1).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2008-12-18 18:55
    Ok, Tracy, thank you for that explanation. Guess I will keep clear of the BS2px but I am waiting for two BS2pe thats probably on their way over the Atlantic right now.
    And when talking about the Stache itself, thats a very handy little thing that I will recommend for others who plays with Basic Stamps out in the field.
  • bdourbdour Posts: 1
    edited 2010-08-20 17:38
    I'd be interested in buying a couple of these special high baud rate Stache programmers. Do you have a part number for them and are they available through Parallax or Digikey?
    edited 2010-08-21 11:05
    I think I bought mine at Parallax a couple of years ago. Seems like they still sell them but at low stock now.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/txtSearch/stache/List/0/SortField/4/Default.aspx

The Stache is very handy when re-programming the Stamp in the field, I find it hardly recommended if you are a outdoor-stamper like myself!

If you are looking for the BS2px-friendly version then you will have to ask Dr. Tracy Allen, guess he will help you there!