Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bs2/digital servo — Parallax Forums

bs2/digital servo

Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
edited 2008-12-15 22:12 in BASIC Stamp
why doesn't the digital servo operate the same as the analog servo with the bs2? can the bs2 operate a digital servo?

thanks, jim··

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-15 20:58
    It depends on the kind of the digital servo. Most digital servos operate externally exactly the same as analog servos, accept the same control pulses every 20ms or so that vary from roughly 1ms to 2ms in width. There's one line of digital servos that only accepts a proprietary 1MHz serial protocol, but all the others (that I know of) by default accept the same pulse train as analog servos and the Stamps will handle them just fine.
  • Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
    edited 2008-12-15 21:18
    my digital is acting funky, whereas the analog works just like it's programmed. i wonder if the new 9 volt battery, vdd, servo receptacle on the boe is not providing the required current needed by the digital.

jim

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-15 21:55
    You're probably right. 9V batteries don't have much capacity and they don't have much peak current capacity. If you're running the servos off the regulated 5V line, the regulator is limited in how much current it can supply. If you're using the 9V directly, you may have damaged the servos. They're not made to run off 9V.

Digital servos can draw higher peak currents than analog servos and analog servos can draw over 1A peak.
  • Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
    edited 2008-12-15 22:12
    thanks, i have protected the servos as i have run them off vdd on bs2 boe for testing, but they don't work. so i will connect my power supply +5v reg and connect the whole kitchen sink and test that way. i'll have plenty of current that way.

thanks,

jim