Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Amateur needs help — Parallax Forums

Amateur needs help

RockinRockin Posts: 3
edited 2008-12-16 04:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all, I thought I'd take up a project this winter break, and I've decided I'd like to make the item in the attached picture.

I have all the necessary components except for the 4 black objects in the middle on the breadboard, and the striped object near the bottom right. After doing some research, I'm guessing the black things are potentiometers, and the striped thing is a resistor? Please excuse my naivety, I've only just begun learning how all this works.

If anyone has any clue to what those are, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks ~

Post Edited (Rockin) : 12/15/2008 4:37:20 PM GMT
640 x 479 - 372K

Comments

• MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-12-15 14:03
    what picture below? used your pencil in your editor to add things to your post.

smile.gif
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-12-15 16:43
    The stripped thing is indeed a resistor. Looks like a 22,000 ohm 1/2 watt resistor.

As far as what the ICs are in the middle, I can't make it out.

It'd be a great help if we knew exactly what the project is supposed to do.
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2008-12-15 17:14
    Looks like some sort of G-Hero controller hack from the·enclosure half and yellow wire labeled "wire ? strum lamp". It looks like it's powered up and I'm surprised that nothing is smoking. rolleyes.gif

Duffer
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-15 18:49
    You should look up the data sheet for those chips. There appears to be text printed on them: do a google search for various combinations or lines and see if you can find a datasheet. Usually the title is a very concise description of what it does.
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-12-15 18:58
    What's that tugging sensation·I feel on my leg?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • RockinRockin Posts: 3
    edited 2008-12-15 22:17
    No way! SRLM, you rock!!

It's an LAA710 CLARE Dual Pole OptoMOS Relay! I searched "LAA Datasheet" (those were the only letters I could make out) and it came right up! Thanks a ton, guys! You've been lots of help.
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-12-16 00:31
    So how about a clue about what the project is supposed to be?
  • willy1067willy1067 Posts: 107
    edited 2008-12-16 00:54
    I guess it's to control something with higher volts/amps (maybe relays)

that is just my guess

·http://pinellas-sign-manufacturer.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Fernando Gomez

Never compare yourself with anyone else, there will always be someone bigger·or·smaller·than you.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-12-16 01:01
    Christmas tree light controller, I'm pretty certain.

Ken Gracey
  • RockinRockin Posts: 3
    edited 2008-12-16 04:46
    =P Good guess, but Duffer is correct. It's Tom Hannu (anagram for Not Human), a Guitar Hero Bot made by Kevin Herron.

www.kevinherron.com/index.php?p=tomhannu

He actually refers visitors to his site ^^ to this one, which is where I became interested over a year ago. Unfortunately, due to lack of time I abandoned the project. His site went down right when I posted (the original post linked to it) so sorry for leaving you all in the dark.

Again, thanks for your help guys, if there's any other advice you have for me, or if you have any idea where I can find some reading material on how this stuff works, your input would be appreciated.

Thanks!