Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wheel Enconder Kit (#27972) — Parallax Forums

Wheel Enconder Kit (#27972)

EEwanabeEEwanabe Posts: 7
edited 2008-12-19 17:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hi:

Regarding the encoders, are these the most accurate you have pertaining to resolution (wheel position)? Is item (#28107) more accurate? What· about incorporating a higher resolution enconder that may be purchased elswhere? I need to have distance dead-on for my application.

any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2008-12-15 17:27
    Can you give us some details of exactly what you require?· Are servos the only·option for your project?

Regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • EEwanabeEEwanabe Posts: 7
    edited 2008-12-19 06:34
    I need to roll my device 12.000-iches and stop and then continue that loop with accuracy.·I am not using servos like the bo-bot,·I am using the #27971 Motor Mount & Wheel Kit with Position Controller. This has a 36 position encoder with .5-inch resolution with the 6-inch wheels provided, but I need much, much more resolution. A 4096 encoder would suit me fine... do you stock one with res this high·or can a U.S. Digital three pin device be incorporated into the Parallax system?

Please advise and Thank you!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-19 06:49
    What sort of surface are you using? The reason I ask is because you might be able to use a mouse to determine distance if you aren't moving too fast and the ground is smooth. With a mouse you could probably get 1/100th of an inch accuracy.
    edited 2008-12-19 06:59
    Also, can one control the ramp up and down speed of the #27971 kit? I realize the 'duration' of full speed can be controlled, but it would be nice to be able to program the ramp speeds. In additon, I have calculated the distance number to give me .63/rev for approx 12-inch, but 23.5 would be better; however, the code will not accept decimals?? Am I doing something wrong or will a distance command with a decimal not work in Basic?

please advise and thanks again!
    edited 2008-12-19 07:07
    SRLM:

I hadn't thought of a mouse! Are you using one? I am rolling on smooth, shiny concrete. I am ceratinly not moving any faster than one would on their desktop/mousepad. How would I go about tieing a mouse(serial/usb) into the Parallax system and do you or anyone have any code to do this?

Thank You!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-19 17:33
    PBASIC is all integers, it doesn't support floating point math. So your decimals won't work. If you want, you can multiply it by 100 to give you integers.

As for the mouse, I mentioned it somewhere in another thread where the same thing is desired, but I don't remember the title. Anyway, the gist was that you simply hook it up to the propeller, and use the mouse movements as distance traveled, and you have a simple and cheap distance encoder. With the right lens, you might even be able to move the mouse off the ground and up into the air.