Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Dev Board - Strange failure mode. — Parallax Forums

Propeller Dev Board - Strange failure mode.

HughHugh Posts: 362
edited 2008-12-13 15:57 in Propeller 1
My pro dev board has been successfully processing GPS / IMU / Magnetometer / R/C transmitter data and displaying it on a VGA monitor for a while now. However, I started it today and no joy...

Any VGA monitor plugged into the board causes the power-supply LED to go out (i.e., some sort of short?) and the surface mount LED's don't light under any circumstances.

Bit of a dissappointment - can these boards be 'over worked'?(Surely not) I guess that they are not repairable either... sad.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Hugh - the thinking woman's Geoffrey Pyke.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-12-13 13:34
    It should be quite easy to replace the Propeller chip, if that is the cause of the problem. I use ChipQuik for that sort of job.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • HughHugh Posts: 362
    edited 2008-12-13 14:46
    That ChipQuik looks good stuff - thanks for the tip! smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-12-13 14:57
    It might be something else wrong, like a short in your wiring. That could fry the Propeller, of course. You need to check that and fix it if necessary before replacing the chip.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-13 15:46
    If you look at the schematic for the VGA connector, all the Propeller I/O pins have series resistors which would protect them from any kind of short. The VGA connector does have +5V and ground attached though. There might be a short where the VGA connector attaches to the board in which case you need to call the Parallax technical support department on Monday and they can arrange to replace the board once they confirm the problem.

Does the board seem to work otherwise (if there's no VGA monitor plugged in)? Can you download a simple program to the Propeller that just blinks an LED? Does that work?
  • HughHugh Posts: 362
    edited 2008-12-13 15:57
    Hi Mike,

Yes, a simple LED-blinking program works OK (blinking P16 - P23, the same IO as the VGA connector).

I'll get in touch with Parallax.

Thanks
    Hugh

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔