Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need info on small lcd displays?? — Parallax Forums

need info on small lcd displays??

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2008-12-13 23:21 in Propeller 1
hey guys I hope its ok to ask this here I pulled apart some of my old electronics an old adtran and a old csu/dsu boxes for the lcd displays one is made from samsung the other from Taiwan box I cant tell but they look just like the parllax text lcd displays and are··complete on a daughter baord with some smd chips and a row of pin connectors is there any way to figure out the hook up for a propeller chip??? they are maybe 1X4 big have power for backlight screens one has a row of 16 pins the other 14 pins I can get the backlight on but would love to know how to send data to them to see if I can figure the pinout
I could not find anyhting out on google or yahoo does anyone have an interface circuit I can try out Thanks

Guys one is a PVC160203P unit I found some fourms here were they talked about it but the links are no longer working the other is a Samsung 0198L·

Post Edited (mikediv) : 12/12/2008 1:04:36 AM GMT

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-12-12 04:27
    Mikediv -

You can ask the question here, but the overall project should be Propeller related. If you are asking general questions about hacking an LCD, the sandbox may be a better place.

That said, are you attaching the display to the Propeller? If so, then I think you are on the right path to determine the interface ICs. There are a couple different LCD drivers in the object exchange that you could try but you would have to make sure you get it hooked up right.

Can you post pictures of the front and back of the LCD? Maybe a couple closeups on the ICs?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto for SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.tdswieter.com
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-12-12 07:48
    The PVC160203P seems to have the standard HD44780 controller, for that there is an object in the OBEX as Timothy pointed out. I'm not sure if it needs a contrast voltage near 0V (but positive) or negative. You will have to test.

The other one does not neem to be a right number. Post a photo, everyone loves photos wink.gif.

btw. I found what I found using .... google! it is your friend, as alldatasheet.com and datasheetcatalog.com, and similar sites are wink.gif
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2008-12-13 23:21
    Tim al yes I want to attach one of these to to propstick or hydra for debuging
    the larger one is the PCV160203p and the smaller one is the samsung I can not find any other part numbers I tried altdata it does not have a data sheet although it shows up when you do a google search I even tried translating from russian just can not find pit out if anyone has a pin out for iether device I will be in your debt
    Tim I am going to take a shot at attching picutres thanks I am new to the prop chip but I cant get enough I have both the hydra and the propstick and even wire wraped mny own 40 pin board up for a robot controller now just learning to program the thing
    guys the lcd with the row of pins at bottom is the pvc160203p the samsung has the the 14 pin header to the left of the screen·
    they both have V+ an V- to the very left of the boards two pads and they are both backlight screens I have applied 9V to both of them and the back lights light up but other than that I have no clue what the pinouts are I hope the picutres help
    thanks
    ·