Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Will these IR LEDs work? — Parallax Forums

Will these IR LEDs work?

SN96SN96 Posts: 318
edited 2008-12-11 18:44 in BASIC Stamp
Using the examples in chapters 7 and 8 in the Robotics with the Boe Bot book, I was wondering if the below IR LED pair from Radioshack would work?

pRS1C-2110714_rshalt1_dt.jpg

I dont know the difference between a Reciaver module and a photo transistor. Arn't they the same thing?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mike

·

Comments

• UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-12-11 15:21
    From what I understand, the receiver you have there is analog, the one in the BOE-bot kit has extra circuits to output a digital
    signal when it receives a specific wavelength.

I'm sure you could use that IR pair, just requires some extra work.

I could be wrong though.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2008-12-11 15:29
    SN96,

Only the IR transmitter from Radio Shack will work on the Boe Bot.· The reason is, that the IR detector that we sell has filtering built into the device that can detect the 38kHz IR carrier and exploits this in chapter 8 to determine distance.· The IR receiver from Radio Shack does not have any filtering.·

To detect the differences·between an IR transmitter, and an IR receiver, take a look at this recent thread...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=769242

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2008-12-11 16:01
    Thanks, this has all been helpful. Radioshack has an IR module that can detect 38khz, I can get this and pick up an IR LED and be good to go. I was hoping the IR pair that I posted originally posted would work, because I plan to use them as eyes for my aluminum robot head pictured in my avatar. In one eye socket will be the emitter and the other eye socket will be the receiver. I will use black foam to hold the LEDs in the round eye sockets, the foam I'm using is the ESD material used to ship ICs· and it works extremely well. I simply cut-to-fit the material.
    Why only one set?
    I'm only using one set cause having both the emitter and the receiver in one eye socket would look a bit odd in my opinion, and I don't think it is necessary since the head can pan back and forth, therefore I feel only one set is required.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2008-12-11 17:59
    Would a ping fit? That'd be more effective and more eye-like.
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2008-12-11 18:44
    Yes, I designed the head to fit the Parallax PING sensor but I had to desolder the sensors off the board and re-attach using lengths soft lead wires. It worked well as long as I had the sensors sitting beyond the bridge between the "eyes" or if I used construction paper as tubular sheilds. It does work, and I will try using aluminum tubes in the future, but it sort of took away from the look and I dammaged the sensors by removing them after using epoxy so I need to get new ones. For the time being, I want to experiment with the IR LEDs.

More info at my poorly updated website:

www.geocities.com/botwire

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·