Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help connecting parallel LCD — Parallax Forums

Need help connecting parallel LCD

gregory923gregory923 Posts: 2
edited 2008-12-13 18:13 in BASIC Stamp
I have been to get this lcd to work with my basic stamp homework board for the last couple days and have just been beating my head against a wall.

Since the stamp has 16pins to use i have hooked up 8 of them directly to the stamp. Contrast and brightness controls work fine via 10K pot but I just cant get the code to display a screen. Could someone please so me code that I can see how I am suppose to send data to the lcd. Im not even sure that I am attempting to output data in the correct way.

This is the LCD I am using it uses a T6963C
www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8799

I really hope someone can help me Im going insane not being able to figure it out.

Thanks hop.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-10 20:54
    Please post a description (or drawing) of how you have this connected and post (as an attachment) the code that you're trying to use.
  • gregory923gregory923 Posts: 2
    edited 2008-12-11 02:57
    Ok on Stamp P1-P8 is DB0-DB7 of my lcd
    P9 is RESET T6963C(LOW EFFECTIVE)
    P12 is /WR DATA WRITE
    P13 is /RD DATA READl
    p14 is /CE CHIP ENABLE FOR T6963C

led contrast control is connected and working with a 10k pot
    and lcd has 5v needed for the T6963 chip

Code I know is totally wrong I was trying to send highs and lows for each bit of the byte. and now im not sure how to approach it now. I cant find any sample code using a T6963 with a basic stamp.

I found this page that has sample code looks like its written in C which I dont know very well and dont know how to translate this to pbasic
    http://www.mcselec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=57

Post Edited (gregory923) : 12/11/2008 3:08:00 AM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-12-12 04:29
    If you don't have code it will never work. Show us what you were using to try to connect, perhaps we can point you in the right direction.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • DownsDowns Posts: 30
    edited 2008-12-13 00:27
    Try:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

Input_Pin CON 13 'Input PIN for the LCD screen.
    BAUDMODE CON 32 'Baud rate to transmit to the LCD screen. Change this setting to match your LCD Baud Rate.

SEROUT Input_Pin,BAUDMODE,[noparse][[/noparse]"Hello, I do work!!"]
    END

I have never used this screen before and just going by your description of your setup in your post, I'm just taking a wild guess. Hope it works for you.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-13 18:13
    Downs said...
    Try:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

Input_Pin CON 13 'Input PIN for the LCD screen.
    BAUDMODE CON 32 'Baud rate to transmit to the LCD screen. Change this setting to match your LCD Baud Rate.

SEROUT Input_Pin,BAUDMODE,[noparse][[/noparse]"Hello, I do work!!"]
    END

I have never used this screen before and just going by your description of your setup in your post, I'm just taking a wild guess. Hope it works for you.

The LCD he's using does not have a serial interface, so this code is not going to work. What you've got here will work fine with serial-enabled LCD screens, but not parallel ones.