Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I need a suggestion for a MOSFET(?) that controls a siren — Parallax Forums

I need a suggestion for a MOSFET(?) that controls a siren

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2008-12-10 15:34 in Propeller 1
Hi everyone,

I've been asked if I can use a Propeller to monitor the doors and windows of a building and sound a siren if anyone intrudes. The siren is already in place and I have no documentation for it except what I've gained by testing it.

At 3 volts, it uses less than 0.1 amps and barely peeps.
At 5 volts, it uses about 0.2 amps and makes a decent amount of noise.
At 10 volts, it uses about 0.3 amps and knocks my socks off.

I'm guessing some kind of MOSFET would do the trick, but I've never used one and I don't know what sort of criteria to search for on Digikey's spec search.

I have one of these ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/99444.pdf sitting around, but I'm not sure it would be right for the job.

Any suggestions on how to approach this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-12-09 22:08
    The MOSFET you have would be unsuitable due to its gate voltage requirements. A better choice would be an IRF3708.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Just a few PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-12-09 22:15
    Phil,

Awesome, man! Your suggestion looks great.

Thanks!

Mark

smile.gif
  • mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
    edited 2008-12-09 22:59
    With that mosfet, you should be able to drive the gate with a prop pin, although I'd probably at least buffer it with a 1k resistor just in case.
    Tie the + of the siren to your 10V power and the - of the siren to the drain of the FET. Then tie the source on the Fet to a common ground with the prop's power.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-12-09 23:06
    McStar,

thanks for the tip on using a 1K resistor to buffer the output of the Propeller pin. I often forget: even if the component doesn't short out the pin, something else I do probably will short it sooner or later.

cheers,
    Mark
  • mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
    edited 2008-12-10 15:34
    Yeah, I've driven gates directly with prop pins without a problem before, but I've also seen blown mosfets that end up with a short between gate and source! You'd hate to waste a prop just because you overloaded the mosfet during prototyping.