Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Checking Serial Terminal — Parallax Forums

Checking Serial Terminal

TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
edited 2008-12-10 17:59 in Propeller 1
I have been using the serial_Terminal object for all of my debug terminal work. And the PST(Parallax Serial Terminal)

Is there a way to "ping" the terminal to see if is connected?
Or similar command to check if there is a serial terminal connected and open?

For two reasons
1. So if there isn't a terminal connected to it, its just not sending data off to space, and or picking up random trash from nowhere.
2. When I start a terminal now, I do it 1 of 2 ways, either add a wait to start of it, so 10 seconds or so after load it starts running or
reset the prop so that the terminal is in sync with it.

Any suggestion or ideas are always appreciated.

Thank you,
TJ

Comments

• StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-12-09 21:45
    Hello TJHJ,

I did not understand who is sending the ping and who is receiving it

could you describe this with explicit clearly naming sender and receiver of the ping ?

Do you mean Propeller is sending the ping and PC-Terminal is receiving or do you mean
    PC-Terminal is sending the PING and the Prop is receiving ?

There is another PC-terminal-program called Br@ys Terminal. It has a scripting option
    where you can write scripts in a pascal style.

With this it will be surely possible to get a behavior like
    the PC-terminal-software is sending pings until there comes an answer back from the propeller
    and then change something

or the terminalsoftware is listining for to the prop to send a ping-string and then the PC-Terminal-software
    is sending backk a confirmation "yes i'm online and listening and then changing it's mode or whatever

best regards

Stefan
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-12-10 17:59
    @Stefan
    The Prop has to send the Ping and the Terminal must respond to it. So the Propeller can detect a connected Terminal.

@TJHJ
    You can try it with the PropTerminal:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540
    It has several 'respond functions' i.e the PC time and date, which can be requested by the Propeller. This can also be used to detect a connected PropTerminal.

Andy