Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Holding multiple boards — Parallax Forums

Holding multiple boards

Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
edited 2008-12-08 17:25 in BASIC Stamp
i·have a project in·which i have 2 bd of educ, 2 power supply boards, and 2-3 more boards that control motors, etc.. i know some of you have the same issues in your project and wonder what you recommend for·holding·these multiple boards, i.e. do you find it useful to contain several boards in a plastic or metal enclosure.

i am open for ideas. so far, i have made several brackets out of lexan and angle aluminum·and drilled holes in the lexan to hold the boards. any ideas on your ingenuity?

thanks, jim····

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-12-08 15:18
    I used to do this sort of thing using stand-offs. Small 4-40 threaded aluminum pieces, 3/4 inch long, use 4-40 screws to hold the stand-offs to the case, then additional stand-offs to 'stack' the boards one on top of the other.

"BUD" made some nice aluminum enclosures that would hold several boards.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-08 15:25
    For one project, I found a nice wooden file box at one of the "big box" stores. The bottom of the box was inset 1/8" plywood, easy to drill for mounting holes (using brass hardware that I got at a local hardware store). See http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=677691

There was a plexiglass lid fabricated so you could see the insides, but the original wooden lid would have worked otherwise.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2008-12-08 15:27
    If there are motors involved, I would suggest a metal enclosure for durability.· You can utilize old metal boxes that you can drill small holes in for standoffs.

Regards,

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Let's Go!Let's Go! Posts: 124
    edited 2008-12-08 15:47
    thanks for your thoughts. my question was not high tech, but i am always looking for ideas from experience. thanks, jim
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-08 17:25
    For my robot, I had two BOEs. I used 1/2" aluminum angle Iron to make a frame, and on that frame I placed spots to mount two BOEs. It works well.