Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to serial connector — Parallax Forums

USB to serial connector

Ken  LyonsKen Lyons Posts: 15
edited 2008-12-07 01:40 in BASIC Stamp
I took my BS2 out of storage and am getting back into it. One thing I don't have now is a serial connector on my computer so I ordered a serial to USB connector. The problem is that both the female connector on my robot and the male seial plug on the on I just got have nuts along side the plugs. This prevents plugging them together. HELP!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-06 19:05
    When that happened to me, I just unscrewed the nuts on the robot using a needle nose pliers and saved them for later. You can buy extension cables that match and have screws on both ends, but unscrewing the nuts worked well enough for me. Don't lose the pieces!

Sometimes the metal shell on the connector is held in place by the shaft of the post. You could just find a matching short flat head screw at a local hardware store and use that instead of the nut to hold everything together.
  • Ken  LyonsKen Lyons Posts: 15
    edited 2008-12-06 20:01
    thanks much. Now if I can get the editor to work on a MAC.
    edited 2008-12-06 20:06
    The Mac editor from Murat Konar works very nicely. Follow the instructions for installing it. You'll need to download the "Stamp tokenizer" from Parallax, but MacBS2 does that for you normally. The tokenizer hasn't been updated lately and won't work with the BS2px, but does work with all the other Stamp models.
    edited 2008-12-06 23:12
    Can you tell me where to find the stamp tokenizer? I don't see it on the download page.
    edited 2008-12-06 23:16
    Look at the bottom of this webpage: www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx
    edited 2008-12-07 01:26
    I did that download but I apparently have to download the tokenizer separately but I can't find it.
    edited 2008-12-07 01:40
    Actually I did find it but I can't seem to install in the editor. When I click on it it sends me to a page that can't be opened.