Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with a Gyro — Parallax Forums

Help with a Gyro

hank van burenhank van buren Posts: 57
edited 2008-12-08 17:15 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to know the possibilities of installing a Gyro in a robot car. The wheel base is 20" and the track is 18" the speed is 2-4 mph.·Using front wheel steering and a steering angle of +40 to -40 degrees in 1 second

My question is, would it help the straight line performance and where to install the gyro. I have been looking at and I wonder or this gyro·would do the job··(GU-210 heading hold).·Thanks Hank

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-12-06 14:56
    You can install a gyro in a model car to assist in the steering along an axis by driving the steering with a servo. You may consult any of the robotics projects that use gyros as a guide. In particular, Robonova has thousands of posts with a gyro topic.

humanoido
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2008-12-06 18:56
    Consider using a compass.
  • hank van burenhank van buren Posts: 57
    edited 2008-12-07 15:08
    I am am currently using a CMPSS03 compass, but I wanted to try a Gyro because it's continues correcting capabilities
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2008-12-08 00:10
    hank van buren,

What you really want is an accelerometer.

Check out this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=768051

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • awesomeduckawesomeduck Posts: 87
    edited 2008-12-08 03:18
    Can someone please explain (in one paragraph or less) the differences between Gyros and accelerometers? From what I have read on the melexis data sheets on Gyros it seems that they are providing data about the rotation around an axis, versus the parallax dual axis accelerometers which provide data about the position of the device relative to gravity. Is there a reason that Parallax does not sell Gyros?
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-08 03:24
    A gyroscope measures rotation, and an accelerometer measures acceleration. An accelerometer does not need a gravity field to operate in.
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2008-12-08 03:53
    A gyro does rotation around the z axis, an accel does the x or/and y.

Hank..

Never used them, but after looking through the info, you are on the right track. The one you were looking at is an rc type, have a look at sparkfun. com for their gyro breakout board selection. Most just output a differential voltage , which could be read with your stamp. I was wondering about vibration, but it seems that has been accounted for.

Post Edited (kelvin james) : 12/8/2008 4:09:23 AM GMT
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-08 04:11
    awesomeduck said...
    Can someone please explain (in one paragraph or less) the differences between Gyros and accelerometers? From what I have read on the melexis data sheets on Gyros it seems that they are providing data about the rotation around an axis, versus the parallax dual axis accelerometers which provide data about the position of the device relative to gravity. Is there a reason that Parallax does not sell Gyros?

Try this:
    www.invensense.com/support/library.html
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-08 07:04
    Here is a good link too. It's a bit longer than 1 paragraph, but it does a good job.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844:BlogPost:41145
  • mr198mr198 Posts: 1
    edited 2008-12-08 08:09
    ¿when is the bs editor going to be available for linux?
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-12-08 14:21
    mr198 -

When you HIJACK a thread like THIS, it makes it DIFFICULT to FIND YOUR MESSAGE!!

You were probably looking in the wrong places, here is a link to the Parallax web pages with ALL the Stamp Software which has to do with programming. Linux IS among those listed, BUT it is NOT SUPPORTED by Parallax. It was written by an OUTSIDE AUTHOR. Here is the link: http://www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-12-08 15:21
    Mr198,

In the future please post questions not related to the current discussion in a new thread/post. Had you not received a reply this message would have been removed. It is always easier to help someone when the subject of the message is clear. When you post in someone else’s unrelated thread this isn’t the case. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • awesomeduckawesomeduck Posts: 87
    edited 2008-12-08 17:15
    Sylvie and SLRM, thanks for the links, very good info.
    Kevin, you might want to look at the links, your post is not accurate. The difference between gyros and accelerometers has nothing to do with the x,y and z axis, which are arbitrarily assigned by humans. The difference has to do with rotation and the force of gravity.

An accelerometer measures acceleration. A 3-axis accelerometer will tell you the orientation of a stationary platform relative to earths surface.
    A gyro measures rate of rotation around a particular axis.