Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp noob — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp noob

magikb33rmagikb33r Posts: 1
edited 2008-12-06 02:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hi
i am new to microcontrollers and know practically nothing
i am however interested in parallax and what they have to offer
I was wondering if someone could help my explaining exactly what each of the specifications would mean to me when selecting a microprocessor
here is the url
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/436/Default.aspx
i feel like i kind of have general idea but i am not sure about a few of the spec tabs on the above webpage
for example, what is the difference between the RAM and scratch pad RAM
and what spec from the microprocessor determines how much data a processor can store?
or if there is a page that explains all of this, could someone direct me in the right direction?
thank you very much
-alex

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-06 02:02
    Download the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual (here www.parallax.com/tabid/440/Default.aspx) and the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial (here www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx). The Manual has descriptions of RAM and scratchpad RAM.

RAM and scratchpad RAM are two separate areas. The RAM is used for the variables of your program while scratchpad RAM is used by the GET and PUT statements only. In the case of the Stamps (all of them except the BS1), there are 26 bytes for variables and there may be no scratchpad RAM or 60 or 128 bytes depending on the Stamp model.

If you have further specific questions, please ask. Detailed, open-ended questions are harder and more complex.