Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scoreboard — Parallax Forums

Scoreboard

Jake W.Jake W. Posts: 3
edited 2008-12-05 19:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hi can anyone help me here i want to make a homemade scoreboard for me and my brother when we play ministicks.
basically i want to know how to make the timer, and connecting it to the penalty timer so when i want the timer to run, the penalty time will countdown as well, i also want to know how to make the led's to show up for the score (4 across and 7 tall). anyone with help with this, would be great. Also i have stuff configured for the control panel, if you tell me how to wire up a timer, to LED's and how to change the time, and change scores plz tel me thx.
Jake,

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-05 19:14
    Jake,
    In order to help you, you need to say more about what you already know and what you may already have.

There are all sorts of projects similar to what you want to have or using pieces of what you may want to use complete with schematics and sample code. Have a look through the Nuts and Volts columns (here: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx). There are also lots of tutorials, again including sample code and schematics (here: www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx and here:www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/stampworks/List/1/ProductID/144/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName). I'd start with the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial if you haven't done so already.

The way to start one of these projects is to divide up the various tasks like keeping a countdown timer, keeping score including the pushbutton or other control interface, making a display work. You then get a small program to work just doing one thing, then go on to the next task. Once you have all the pieces working, you begin to combine the tasks into one program. Exactly how to do that depends on the task involved and how the programs were written.

You can usually find existing examples of code and circuits for the individual tasks. Finding a program that does exactly what you want is unlikely, but it's not as hard as you think to learn how the pieces work and to learn some general methods for combining pieces.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 12/5/2008 7:19:19 PM GMT