Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Project box for USB Propeller Prototype board. — Parallax Forums

Project box for USB Propeller Prototype board.

sccoupesccoupe Posts: 118
edited 2008-12-15 20:28 in Propeller 1
Does anyone have a mouser or digikey part number for a plastic box that nicely fits the mounting points on the Propeller prototype board USB part number 32812?

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
    edited 2008-12-03 20:30
    I was never able to find one for the regular proto board...
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-03 20:53
    At the NE Propeller Expo this past August, I remember some enclosures that were given away as door prizes, I believe they had Protoboard, and Hydra enclosures.

OBC - maybe you remember who had these, and if they ever started selling these?

This enclosure from Sparkfun is *almost* the right size, I remember someone else had used it, but had to trim a little. If you have the accessory kit installed (Key/mouse/VGA connector) then you may not be able to use it, or cut a hole for it to protrude through

www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8601

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board

Post Edited (parts-man73) : 12/3/2008 9:00:06 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-12-03 22:54
    Those pretty cases from the Expo were produced by ChuckG who can be pm'd here in the forums.

I don't know that he has an official website up yet, but I believe he takes orders. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • ChuckGChuckG Posts: 13
    edited 2008-12-03 23:09
    That was me parts-man, I am selling those Enclosure Kits. My website is about 95% finished, I hope to have it up by the end of the week.·I tried to post some pics to this forum, but it doesn't seem to be working. If any one is intrested, they can PM me or email me at chuck@chuckg.net.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    3296 x 2472 - 979K
    3296 x 2472 - 1023K
    3296 x 2472 - 969K
    3296 x 2472 - 1M
    3296 x 2472 - 1M
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,656
    edited 2008-12-04 00:19
    Great work, ChuckG. The black glossy one looks very professional and the see through ones look fit for a museum.

One thing I'll do to mine (to be ordered as soon as your site is up!) is replace the screws with knurled thumb screws... what thread are the screws which hold the lid on?

tubular
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-04 06:24
    If it's possible, a link to these on the product pages (or better yet: available through Parallax!) would be great.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,751
    edited 2008-12-04 06:41
    Very nice! These boxes are real eye catchers! A proposal: drill a few hole to insert LED's and make the housing a lightpipe. Engravings could surely be individualized and your customers will have their private propeller box.

Post Edited (ErNa) : 12/5/2008 6:37:41 AM GMT
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-12-04 18:31
    Me want!

I see dollars leaving my wallet, looking for a place to go.

These will get my boards out of boxes in the computer room and into
    the living room!
  • dpescheldpeschel Posts: 16
    edited 2008-12-04 19:37
    Very snazzy, ChuckG. Do your boxes make the reset switch or SD slots
    easily accessible? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Also, do the bare boards cause much audio/video interference? If so,
    does the acrylic make much difference?
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-12-05 21:53
    Oh I could see the PPDB version sitting on my desk. It looks like a good way to protect the board from dust and such in between hardware building and testing projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto for SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.tdswieter.com
  • ChuckGChuckG Posts: 13
    edited 2008-12-08 05:54
    I finally got my website up. www.mountainkingtech.com

Tubular,· #4-40

dpeschel,· The HYDRA Enclosure has a hole to access the reset switch, the other ones do not. You can easily drill a hole, to access it or to add an external switch.·I'm not sure I understand your question about interference, I don't think acrylic would effect audio/video interference.

Chuck
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-08 06:09
    Question: what is the difference between the pro and economy lines? From the pictures, it looks like the difference is in colors available, and perhaps a slightly thicker plastic on the pro. True? And I like the special tops for the different display devices! Very nice cases.
  • dpescheldpeschel Posts: 16
    edited 2008-12-08 18:52
    My question was about interference generated by the boards (which is the reason why we have had shielded computer
    cases for decades now, and FCC regulations/warnings). I suspect it's not really a problem, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
  • mcstarmcstar Posts: 144
    edited 2008-12-08 21:46
    Thanks for making these available ChuckG. My order is in. I'm not so worried about shielding... anything's better than just having the board laying out on the table. LOL.
    I suppose if you get too much RF from your board, well first, you must be drawing some serious power, but second, you could just line the inside of the case with AL foil... noise suppressed!
    edited 2008-12-15 16:37
    I got my box on Friday. That shipping was really fast Chuck. Thanks a lot! It took me just a little while into it's new box. I'm really liking this enclosure. I'll definitely get more when I get this project done. It looks much better and I don't have to worry about my 2 year old ripping wires off the board when I'm not there anymore [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
    edited 2008-12-15 20:20
    Awesome, You stole my idea ( good work, was gonna call mine BoxesThatFitSh**t, a box that actually fits a PCB.... ). I have always wondered why every pre made PCB box does not fit standard size boards, a 3x2 box, does not fit a 3x2 board, and no one makes a 3.1x2.1 box. I have been looking for a box for the protoboard for a long time now, I found one that just sucks, it sits in there @ a 20 deg angle, and it takes an hour of cutting to get it at that.

2 questions
    1. Can we get a picture of the grey acrylic box? Clear and colors are cool and all, but if its gonna get dirty anyway.... ( Never Mind this one, Just ordered one, Ill see it when it gets here [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

2. Any chance for a blank box(No holes cut into it, Ive got an application that needs plugs on the box, and I would like to just wire direct to the plugs, and avoid all these open holes.)
    and or a box that is sealed( Like rubber gasket or such?, Its going to be outside.)

Thanks for this
    TJ

Post Edited (TJHJ) : 12/15/2008 8:31:52 PM GMT
    edited 2008-12-15 20:28
    TJHJ has some good suggestions, I'd second both his ideas for number 2. I'll be needing a waterproof version for my next project and I ended up drilling and cutting a bit on mine anyway to accommodate my SD card, video o/p and and other connections.