Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Software Problems — Parallax Forums

Software Problems

Carl LawhonCarl Lawhon Posts: 36
edited 2008-12-06 15:12 in Propeller 1
I have Propeller Tool v1.2 loaded on a PC (3 Mhz Pentium 4, plenty of hard drive space, 3 GB of RAM, Windows XP with all updates).· Every time I launch the Prop·Tool (and all· the time it remains open whether I'm working with it or not), I get a Windows·error message dialog box that reads:

"Windows - No Disk

Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c"

After clicking cancel, the message reappears instantly.· After clicking cancel for the third time, it goes away for about five minutes and then recurs with the same pattern (click cancel three times to clear it for a while, and then it returns).··After clearing, I can go ahead and use the Prop Tool.· It just is annoying to have it pop up constantly.· Afterwards other applications seem to behave weirdly too, like they are out of memory, so I reboot whenever I finish using the Prop Tool

Any suggestions·greatly appreciated.

[noparse][[/noparse]Update by Moderator]· This problem has been resolved: please download Propeller Tool v1.2.5 for the fix.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx

Post Edited By Moderator (Jeff Martin (Parallax)) : 12/6/2008 1:17:28 AM GMT

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,243
    edited 2008-12-03 02:27
    I think the problem you're having may be due to the Prop Tool's inablility to differentiate "real" drives from empty flash drive sockets... I'd guess that you have some type of flash memory reader installed... The Prop Tool attempts to read this disk on start up and then gives an error because it can't...
  • Carl LawhonCarl Lawhon Posts: 36
    edited 2008-12-03 04:36
    Rayman said...
    I think the problem you're having may be due to the Prop Tool's inablility to differentiate "real" drives from empty flash drive sockets... I'd guess that you have some type of flash memory reader installed... The Prop Tool attempts to read this disk on start up and then gives an error because it can't...
    Rayman,

Thanks very much.· It's a Media Center PC with built-in slots on the front of the case for SD, Compact Flash cards, etc.· Do you mean that·those might be what·is triggering it?· Because I can't just unplug those like I could an external USB card reader, is there anything that I could do that·would disable the message?

Carl

Post Edited (Carl Lawhon) : 12/3/2008 4:53:23 AM GMT
  • shanghai_foolshanghai_fool Posts: 149
    edited 2008-12-03 04:43
    Put formatted devices in the slots.
    OR
    Maybe someone could rewrite the PropTool v1.2 and fix that and the other (port) problems as well.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-12-03 05:20
    Carl Lawhon,

This sounds like a question better directed to Jeff Martin. I don't think this is an issue with the empty flash drives or virtual drives since I have a fair amount of those in operation myself.

I wonder if there is a chance that at some time you saved your work to one of the flash drives and didn't properly exit, and it's just something that's hanging. The Propeller tool attempts to recover data from an improper exit or shutdown and generally does a good job, but you might have discovered a circumstance that may confuse the tool.

Have you tried re-installing the Propeller software and/or reverting back to a previous version of the tool?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-12-03 05:22
    You could try disabling them in the device manager. If the OS doesn't see them, the prop tool will run just fine.

Last time I looked at that thing, I swear I saw the ability to configure that as a boot time option. If so, you can boot for Propeller stuff, then boot again for regular media PC use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    edited 2008-12-03 05:26
    Beau Schwabe (Parallax) said...
    Carl Lawhon,

This sounds like a question better directed to Jeff Martin. I don't think this is an issue with the empty flash drives or virtual drives since I have a fair amount of those in operation myself.

I wonder if there is a chance that at some time you saved your work to one of the flash drives and didn't properly exit, and it's just something that's hanging. The Propeller tool attempts to recover data from an improper exit or shutdown and generally does a good job, but you might have discovered a circumstance that may confuse the tool.

Have you tried re-installing the Propeller software and/or reverting back to a previous version of the tool?

Thanks.· I'll try the re-install or downgrade.· I have never saved to a flash drive or external drive of any sort.
    edited 2008-12-03 05:55
    I have been running PropToolV1.2 for a few weeks now. I just plugged in a USB·memory·card reader and I get this message.

No external reader and Proptool works fine. If I click continue·= (·number of ext drives added), then it works normally.

I unplug the reader and the problem goes away.

Normal, of course, is having to either unplug the protoboard USB and plug it back in or my normal method of opening PC_TERINAL window, then minimizing it. And also the continuing EEPROM Verify Error.

Frustrating, but not terminal.
    493 x 176 - 13K
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-12-03 10:51
    You can also jump boat and use BST aka Brad's Spin Tool. It does all propTool does and some other things (like listing view!, that I asked for some 1 1/2 years ago!!!... and was told that the person in charge of PropTool was
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-03 11:39
    I recently had that problem, I think on both the Propeller Tool 1.2 and on the Basic Stamp Editor 2.4, for about the last two weeks. On reading this thread, I went back to both to get the exact error message - and it has stopped happening. Everything is back to normal, and I didn't do anything at all to fix it. Weird.
    edited 2008-12-03 12:26
    Ale said...
    You can also jump boat and use BST aka Brad's Spin Tool. It does all propTool does and some other things (like listing view!, that I asked for some 1 1/2 years ago!!!... and was told that the person in charge of PropTool was
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-12-03 15:58
    The BST tool,
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=755835

The actual download page,
    www.fnarfbargle.com/bst/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2008-12-03 16:16
    Hi Carl,

Can you try running the attached version of the Propeller Tool?

We have been unable to duplicate this error in all the months that we've known about it, despite a number of Media Readers we've tried that supposedly cause the problem.· I'm thinking now that it is somewhat indirectly related to the media reader type, but can't find the source of the error.

The attached Propeller Tool has some added debug code that will trap exceptions (if indeed this is an exception error) and will generate a report for us and will prompt you to allow it to send it to us.

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-12-03 16:19
    Jeff Martin (Parallax) said...
    We have been unable to duplicate this error in all the months that we've known about it, despite a number of Media Readers we've tried that supposedly cause the problem. I'm thinking now that it is somewhat indirectly related to the media reader type, but can't find the source of the error.

FYI, the computer on which I had this problem is also an HP "Media Center" with the built-in slots for various media cards, and like Carl, I have not ever saved any Stamp or Propeller code directly to a removable media device (though I have copied program files to USB drives using the operating system).
    edited 2008-12-03 16:29
    Thanks sylvie369,

Perhaps between you, Carl and I, and with a little experimentation, we can narrow this down to the cause. If it doesn't actually generate a trappable exception error, I think the next step is to compile a custom version for you and Carl that ignores the drive letters that you tell me is your removable media to see if the problem goes away... then we'll know it's definitely caused by scanning that drive.

I apologize for not being able to fix this earlier, but with your help, we may be able to now.

Please PM me with an email address where I can send you a custom exe if need be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-12-03 16:40
    It is strange how the problem goes away sometimes... I just noticed that if you click on an empty flash drive from within the Prop tool (I'm still on ver.1.1 on this box), you get the error message. Then, if you restart the Prop Tool, the error message returns on startup....

I suspect the Prop Tool is looking through some sort of "recently viewed files" list when the startup errors happen...
    edited 2008-12-03 16:47
    Good point, Rayman,

In fact, I had suspected that before but when I tried it, it wouldn't fail for me.· Maybe I was doing something differently, or maybe I didn't have one of the media readers currently installed that causes the problem.

The only "recently viewed" list that the Propeller Tool uses (that I can think of at the moment) is it's own, based on·the most recent files that were opened.· Perhaps it has something to do with that, but it doesn't make sense unless you had actually opened a file from that location.

That's definitely an area to explore.

Does anyone else get an "exception-like" message in this particular case?· I was unaware that it was an exception error until Carl listed the message... but it looks strange.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-12-03 16:48
    Hi Jeff Martin

I have this problem on my machine but only on XP SP2 after uppgrade to SP3 problem is gone.
    But I trace this problem to "Delphi" standart dialogs for Open File.
    I test many programs and 2 of them was "Delphi" compiled programs and have same problem that Propeler Tools with Removable Media.

Regards Christoffer

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2008-12-03 16:52
    Sapieha,

That's interesting. You mean Delphi-based programs that you wrote yourself? If so, that really sheds some light in an area of the software I wasn't even considering.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-12-03 16:55
    Hi Jeff Martin.

Not my self ... But 30 days programs from others progam firm.
    But sorry I cant give You program names
    It was long time ago

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2008-12-03 16:57
    Sapieha,

That's okay, I appreciate knowing what you traced it too, regardless. Thanks for letting me know, I'll explore that area as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-12-03 17:04
    Here a thread I started on the same (or closely related) subject. It contains a link to a post by OldBitCollector that shows how to fix the problem. It worked for me: I haven't had the problem since.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Just a few PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-12-03 17:07
    Jeff,

I downloaded and ran the attached version of the Prop Tool.· I got the same error messages on startup as before. Once I cleared them all, I did not receive any prompts to send you a report. However, I did get the following message for the first time:

"WARNING

No library files found in Propeller Tools directory:

C:\DocumentsandSettings\HPAdministrator\MyDocuments\Downloads

Objects that rely on library files (*.spin) will not compile."

I'm guessing this is because the program you sent me just runs rather than installs and doesn't build the libraries?

Jeff Martin (Parallax) said...

Hi Carl,

Can you try running the attached version of the Propeller Tool?

We have been unable to duplicate this error in all the months that we've known about it, despite a number of Media Readers we've tried that supposedly cause the problem.· I'm thinking now that it is somewhat indirectly related to the media reader type, but can't find the source of the error.

The attached Propeller Tool has some added debug code that will trap exceptions (if indeed this is an exception error) and will generate a report for us and will prompt you to allow it to send it to us.

Thanks!

edited 2008-12-03 17:13
    Hi Carl.

You must copy it to instal map for Propeller Tools for at it funktion corectly

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-12-03 17:23
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Here a thread I started on the same (or closely related) subject. It contains a link to a post by OldBitCollector that shows how to fix the problem. It worked for me: I haven't had the problem since.

-Phil

This fix worked for me. Just to be sure, without doing anything else, I put it back to 0 and problem was back. Left it at 2.
    ·
    edited 2008-12-03 17:45
    Got it.· Replaced the propeller.exe under Propeller Tools folder with the new one and I'm back in business.· However, I still receive the error messages and yet·get no prompt after they are cleared to send an error report to Parallax.

I guess I'm waiting to hear from Jeff Martin before I make the registry edit suggested.· Can anyone who has made the registry edit say whether it had any other impacts on the function of the card slots?· We do use the compact flash and SD slots for loading photos from digital cameras, so I don't want to disable them or have to reverse some registry edit when we want to use them.· Any reason to be concerned about the registry edit·on those grounds?

Sapieha said...
    Hi Carl.

You must copy it to instal map for Propeller Tools for at it funktion corectly

edited 2008-12-03 17:46
    My card slots still work fine after the RegEdit.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-12-03 18:04
    I'd guess that registry hack just makes Windows turn a blind eye to system errors. I'm not sure that's such a good thing...
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-12-03 18:14
    You could just click the box that only shows recently used directories in the directory tree window [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-12-03 18:17
    Rayman,

Granted, it may be a pragmatic "solution". But Windows users are hardly in a position to be idealists — unless they also have a masochistic streak. smile.gif

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔