Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Converting Propeller Programs Document — Parallax Forums

Converting Propeller Programs Document

blittledblittled Posts: 681
edited 2008-12-04 03:12 in Propeller 1
I'm starting a document that will explain how to convert programs from one propeller board to another. I will be working with the protoboard, obc's modified protoboard, spin studio, demo board, Hydra, Hybrid and PropRPM. I only have experience with the modified protoboard so any advice or comments from anyone else's experience is welcomed. Once I have it done I'll post it on this thread. Thanks in advance for any input.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-12-03 00:14
    Seems like I saw something about this before. Search the forum or the Propeller Wiki and see if it already exists in some form.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto for SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.tdswieter.com
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-12-03 05:45
    Lots of good information here: propeller.wikispaces.com/Dev+Board+Differences
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-12-03 17:16
    One thing I'm still not clear on is how changing the xtal will change the video circuitry. That would be an interesting discussion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects - Sign up as a Designer and get a free 4-pack of Project Boards!
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-03 18:22
    Nick

Changing the crystal would not change the video "circuitry" you just need to change the XinFreq to the correct value for the crystal that you are using

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-12-04 03:12
    Exactly. From there, you ask for the frequencies you want in PLLA, and the video runs the way it runs. The end result is different clocks yield different amounts of instructions per pixel. There is a lower limit too, where it's just not fast enough to do anything.

Most of the easy video modes, where the bits per pixel are 1 or 2, means a waitvid spans 16 or 32 pixels. At TV resolutions, that's a long time. Plenty of speed options in that case. Probably will work just fine below the 80Mhz reference. This would be true for both bitmaps and tiles. For the harder ones, say partial frames at 1 or 2 bits per pixel for only 8 pixels, or where one whole byte is consumed per pixel, you more or less need the higher speed clocks to get stuff done. The waitvids come along too quickly for pointers and HUB data fetches to occur. 80Mhz and 96Mhz are what you want for these. Same for advanced video renderers with sprites and such. The bit manipulation required to combine sprites into scan lines takes a lot of instructions.

>96Mhz might not be stable. And I think that depends on the input xtal frequency too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/4/2008 3:19:56 AM GMT