Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connect PCs to Stamps — Parallax Forums

Connect PCs to Stamps

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2008-12-03 17:46 in BASIC Stamp
Mike Green said...
On the other hand, you can easily add a couple of switching transistors to make any RS232 to serial or USB to serial adapter do open mode and thus use a PC for this kind of party line.
If the PC, one or two, or more, connected to the Master Stamp, how would you program it for data exchange? In the stamp, we have serial commands to wait, send, receive and recognize ascii characters. But won't the PC need some kind of programmable terminal program to do the same?

humanoido

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-02 15:51
    Yes. Of course the PC would need some kind of program to handle its end of any network. You'd need to use some kind of programming language that supports a serial port. Visual Basic and Python are two examples.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-12-02 16:06
    humanoido -

On the other hand, if you're just looking for data CAPTURE, the Windows utility Hyperterminal works fine, and it's been included with almost all Windows System since day one. I say almost because you must specify that you want it during the initial installation from the CD, or you can add later, but you must had the CD.

There are other data capture programs on the Internet that are freeware as well. If you need more information, just contact me.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-12-02 18:16
    humanoido

Take a look at Mr. Robert Zale's "Power Basic" complier.It works great with serial com.s w/ the $stamp's."As in PC to Master $stamp".
    I wrote a simple serial program w/ this compiler thats less then 30 lines w/ "error handler" and all.It supports Interrupts and PoPup's as well....www.PowerBasic.com

_________________$WMc%______
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-12-03 14:44
    I will certainly need something less expensive than a $200 solution, most likely a program in the open source arena or freeware. This project is on a shoestring budget ($0.00) that will be shared with basic stamp hobbyists.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-12-03 17:39
    Sounds like time for Visual Basic .NET Express Edition.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-12-03 17:46
    humanoido

I see Your Budget restrictions,I'll keep and eye out for some Freeware.I was just looking at some free demo software the other day.I'll take a look at it and get back to You if it's any good.

____________$WMc%___________out