Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Upgradeable product designs for the Prop II — Parallax Forums

Upgradeable product designs for the Prop II

lnielsenlnielsen Posts: 72
edited 2008-12-01 22:04 in Propeller 1
I was thinking about the PropScope over the weekend. I need an oscilloscope and getting an "open" system that this group is expanding would be a big plus but reading several of the threads, it sounds like it will max out the Prop. I assume the cost of the PropScope is mostly in the electronics -the Prop chip is a minor part of the cost. That got me thinking... Do we know enough today about the Prop II today to build an upgradeable product? If we could swap out the controller when the Prop II becomes available and get something like 16X the power...

What would be the best way to upgrade Props in the future?
What could we do with today's designs·to make it easier?
Power supply? Carrier board? Clock design? Space requirements?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-01 17:36
    There's not enough known yet about the Prop II to plan for an upgradable product except in very general terms. In particular, the I/O pins will run off 3.3V and work much like the current I/O pins. The processor core will run off a 2nd power supply (1.8V ?) There are supposed to be 64 I/O pins and the package will be some kind of surface mount (probably 80 pin). None of this is promised or guaranteed.

I think the only things that can be planned for are:

1) The I/O pins will be 3.3V logic, so existing 3.3V logic interfaces should be fine

2) The highest supply voltage will be 3.3V and there will have to be another regulated supply, probably 1.8V

3) There will be some crystal normally used for clock generation, probably similar to the current crystal

4) The chip will be larger and will be in a larger, surface mount only package
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-12-01 17:44
    lnielsen,

The Propeller II chip will have approximately 100 pins ;·25 on a side in a QFP style package. ...So the Propeller II will not be a drop-in replacement for the Propeller I. Even further, the Propeller II will require 1.8V and 3.3V supplies. With the exception of feature enhancements and added functionality, what should remain the same for most circumstances is the software that you are currently programming the Propeller I with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 12/1/2008 10:07:17 PM GMT
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-12-01 18:02
    Are there no plans for a QFP? Hand-soldering a QFN is practically impossible. This means the home hobbyist is limited to buying a proto board or having to re-flow solder it somehow.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-12-01 18:24
    I've soldered several QFN chips without any problems. Drag soldering and plenty of gel flux is the secret.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-12-01 18:25
    There's some speculation here about package types. We haven't made any certain decisions in this regard, nor will we for quite some time.

But I assure you we'd have a QFP chip package. It's a production necessity and a preference over QFNs based on our sales history, manufacturing experience, and ease of design-in.

These designs evolve until they are complete. And Chip doesn't release anything until it has met his expectations. This means that certain aspects may continue to evolve in either direction beyond what has been discussed in these forums.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-12-01 21:34
    Upgradibility and changing needs are what I had in mind when I designed SpinStudio - When the next-gen Propeller comes out, I will design a new Mainboard. and existing customers can just order that, and use all the peripheral modules that they already own.

I already have a design for a new SpinStudio based on the current Propeller. It's what I consider my next logical step. It's mostly surface mount parts. When Propeller II comes, my SpinStudio mainboard for it will look very similar to this, except there will be 8 ports, 2 per side of the square instead of the current 1 per side arrangement.

PICT4022.JPGPICT4024.JPG

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2008-12-01 21:55
    Er, Beau, Correct me, but if it's a square chip, 100 pins, isn't that 25 pins to a side? I'm trying to visualize the layout for my own board designs...
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-12-01 22:04
    Philldapill,

Yes sir!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.