Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic BS2 question. I just want the bs to connect 2 wires together no +5 volts. — Parallax Forums

Basic BS2 question. I just want the bs to connect 2 wires together no +5 volts.

radbradradbrad Posts: 2
edited 2008-11-30 23:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hello first time poster newbie here.

My problem:

Connect one lead from my voltmeter (set on OHMS) for contimuity to the baisic stamp 2 board of education, then connect the other lead to the basic stamp board of eduction. No votage is needed or wanted.

Essentually i just want the stamp to touch the 2 wire leads of the ohm meter·together.

Things I have tried:

A) 1 lead to po and one to VSS. Made po output. Tried making it high and low to no avail.
B) 1 lead from ohm meter to p0 and one to p1. made p0 input, output high low etc. made p1 every possible combination.
c) Pulling my hair out

Any help from the brilliant folks from this forum, will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Radbrad

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-30 22:44
    That's not the way the Stamp outputs work. They connect the I/O pin to either ground or +5V. To do what you want, you need a relay and a diode. Download the "Nuts and Volts Column #6" (here's the index: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx) which shows some examples of using a Stamp to control relays and motors. The last page shows a typical circuit with a relay. RadioShack carries all the parts you need. If you use a 5V coil relay (like: www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062478), you can run this off the +5V supply for the Stamp and you don't need the transistor or resistor although you do need the diode which could be a 1N4001 or 1N914 as well. Just use +5V connected to one side of the relay coil and the other side of the relay coil gets connected directly to the Stamp I/O pin. The diode is connected as shown in the schematic with the cathode end connected to +5V.
  • radbradradbrad Posts: 2
    edited 2008-11-30 23:52
    Mike, thanks a million. I was pretty sure I could do it with a relay. I just wanted to keep it as simple as possable.

That post took a lot of work out of it for me. It is much appreciated.

Brad Kershaw