Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HYDRA forums: Expanded Propeller Gaming Focus — Parallax Forums

HYDRA forums: Expanded Propeller Gaming Focus

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-11-26 18:32 in Propeller 1
If you don't make it a habit to visit the HYDRA forums
it's focus has been expanded to include game designers working on various Propeller platforms.
(Thank you Ken for making this adjustment!)

There are three games in process right now, others who have started and could use a little encouragement.. [noparse];)[/noparse]

Ever want to write a game? No experience.. Bah.. I've never done this before and I'm working on my second.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Comments

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-11-25 15:45
    I've got the book (recently) and a couple of propeller boards (demo and proto) but no hydra. How easy are the games to port to a different platform?

Another question I've had is I don't have (nor have access to) anything resembling a Nintendo controller, however I have a couple of PS2 controllers (and have written interface objects to them). Without getting into the game code, how easy would it be to adapt Hydra games to the hardware I have?

The book has been fantastic (excepting that within 15 minutes of removing it from its UPS box the cover fell off), but I've not really had time to look at the games source yet.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cardinal Fang! Fetch the comfy chair.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-11-25 16:06
    The big changes between a "typical" protoboard/demoboard setup are the video/audio
    connections. The Hydra uses 24 for start of video, and 7 for audio, while many protoboard/demoboard
    setups use 12 for start of video and 10 for audio.

There a several threads in the HYDRA forum for converting these settings.

The other thing you'll want is some type of game controller. NES controllers are commonly used as
    the HYDRA has those connections built in. There are raw NES connectors in Parallax inventory (thanks Ken)
    as well as a (soon to be sold) NES adapter which has both pin and "spin studio" connections.
    There is a page of instructions for connecting the NES in the Cookbook. (below) It's very straightforward.

There are great objects for PS2, N64, and ATARI connections which all work well and could be easily adopted.

As for the HYDRA book falling apart.. The information contained inside is worth the it's disheveled appearance
    once you opened it a few hundred times. There was a thread about binding issues a while back.
    (Besides didn't every wizard's spell book look a bit worn? <smirk>)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-11-25 16:14
    I too have a disheveled Hydra book, and speaking of disheveled books appearances I have a Rodney Zaks Z80 ( the bible of books... well to me in the speccy days it was anyway ) althugh the Zaks book did take a good bashing before looking so rough lol
    I can still to this day name pretty much most instructions hex value lol, it's been opened once or twice shall we say lol.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

Post Edited (Baggers) : 11/25/2008 4:19:50 PM GMT
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-11-25 20:01
    As said before the biggest thing is setting the correct Pins (in the program) and controll. The best option is to use an NES pad anyway you can hook it up, but using a serial shifting IC you can easily hook up an Atari style joystick as well. Most of the programs try to have keep all the settings towards the top of the main program so it is easy to modify.

I do like that the Hydra forums have changed to Hydra/Prop gaming in general and I am glad to see new projects popping up too [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2008-11-25 22:29
    OBC do you have any idea when the Spin compatible NES card will be available? I got the NES connectors from Parallax to build a homebrew Hydra but I have the Spin Studio on my Christmas list and could use that card.

I am also working , slowly, on a remake of the ZX81 game Mazogs. I'm stuck on the maze creation but since lake affect snows have given our area an early winter I'll get back to it.

I also got the Hydra book and my cover is only half off so I must not be using it enough [noparse]:)[/noparse].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-11-26 13:24
    I may have let the cat out of the bag before I was suppose to.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I got the sneaky-peek of the new adapter.

@parts-man: jump in anytime and give us an update.

"lake effect" is a term I've only heard around here to describe snow blown in from Lake Erie.
    Are you in the NE ohio neck of the woods?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2008-11-26 17:05
    I thought lake affect would get someone's attention. I live in NW PA about 30 miles south of Erie and Lake Erie. I'm basically on the southern end of the "Snow Belt" So I don't get as much as people just north of where I live.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    What electronics need - MORE POWER!!!!!!!
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-11-26 18:32
    OBC said...
    I may have let the cat out of the bag before I was suppose to.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I got the sneaky-peek of the new adapter.

@parts-man: jump in anytime and give us an update.

smile.gif no, I should've had it posted by now. I've been pretty sick for the last week, but feeling better now. Over the next few days I'll be releasing a dual NES controller adapter for SpinStudio. There is also a right angle header along one edge of the board to allow it to be plugged into a solderless breadboard, or for connection to a different Propeller development system.

I'm at work right now, so I don't have any pictures I can post of it handy. But I will have shortly.

I'll tell you - Using a NES controller is much easier than the Atari joysticks I've used in the past with the Propeller. Some games, you had to press "start" to start the game. Well....the Atari Joystick didn't have a start button. So the code had to be adjusted so that the fire button on the joystick was both "Fire" and "Start"....not ideal. The NES is a better solution.

I'll get this posted to my website as soon as I have the Documentation written up.

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board