Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
servo controller help! — Parallax Forums

servo controller help!

erictheredericthered Posts: 3
edited 2008-11-24 21:46 in BASIC Stamp
So I took a robot arm that ran on a 9 volt battery and replace the chips with a servo controller attached to basic stamp. all it does when I enter move commands is twitch. Am I not using enough power?

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-11-24 02:38
    A bit more information is needed here. What chips did you replace? Are you sure that they are servos? What's your code? Any pictures? If it ran directly off a 9v battery, then it probably not a servo. Most servos take about 5v to run off of.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-24 02:40
    Yes.

What you describe is a typical symptom of inadequate power. The voltage drops and the servo controller or Stamp resets and all you see is a twitch.
  • erictheredericthered Posts: 3
    edited 2008-11-24 21:46
    The code I used is the run motors program from the manual http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/motors/ServoControllerManualRev B v2_4.pdf
    The machine took 5 servos from Hi tech. while each one was different they are very similar to each other with exception to the bottom base. For example one of the servos was a HS-422. It was origonally ran on a SMC-05 servomotor Controller which ran fine on a 9 volt. Also I think twitch was a poor choice of words as most of the servos just lock into place. I tried the find servo positon command in the manual and all I got was Servo 0:02:EE no matter what whislt locking itself in one position. I think I might have overloaded the servo controller as it was only meant for 7.5 volts. But the servo controller leds seem fine a green one and a red one still glows