Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2pe — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2pe

stvsasstvsas Posts: 8
edited 2008-11-25 20:00 in BASIC Stamp
I recently purchased a mobo 2pe and i am having a little trouble finding documentation on programming it. I have downloaded all the documents and they seem to be a bit vague. Is there anyplace where I can find some sample programs, or do I need something else, yet?
Any help would be appreciated. regards, stv

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-23 22:37
    Start with "What's a Microcontroller?". There's a large collection of tutorials ... Go to the main Parallax website and click on the Resources tab. You'll get a list of links. Select Downloads, then Stamps in Class Downloads and you'll see an index of the tutorials. The others are useful as well.

Off the Resources tab, you'll also find "Nuts and Volts Columns". There are over 100 columns on all sorts of subjects relating to the Stamps (or other Parallax microcontrollers). All of the tutorials and Nuts and Volts Columns include sample programs.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-11-24 02:34
    If you're new to Stamp programming in general, the easiest thing to start with on the 2pe Mobo is making the onboard LEDs light up, and then blink. The manual explains how to do this:
    Mobo docs said...
    Bicolor LED
    This red/green LED is illuminated by pulling BASIC Stamp port P13 low for red or P14 low for green.
    Pulling both low simultaneously will show, at a distance, as amber.

(and page 5 of the documentation gives a sample program).

If you want to do more useful things with it (and of course you do - you didn't spend $70 to make LEDs blink), I strongly recommend attaching one of the Power Input, 3-pin Header I/O Daughterboards ($15). It gives you easy access through three-pin headers to the various pins that you can use to attach servos, LCD displays, and so on. The documentation for the daughterboard explains in detail how to do all of the interesting things you'd really want to do with the 2pe.

Post Edited (sylvie369) : 11/24/2008 2:45:06 AM GMT
  • stvsasstvsas Posts: 8
    edited 2008-11-25 17:52
    When i go to BS2p in the editor, there are limited instructions available. Can I use ALL the commands with the mobo?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-25 17:59
    There are a few statements that are only available with the BS2px (described here: www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/BASICStamp2px.pdf). Everything else is available with the Mobo because that's a BS2pe with some specific peripheral circuitry.
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-25 19:53
    I have the What's a Microcontroller book, and don't need it.· Therefore:

The book is on offer.· The first e-mail I get off-forum (to my e-mail address in the signature below) will get a free What's a Microcontroller under the following conditions:

(1) You must include a complete mailing address in the USA;

(2) If you get no reply from me, you must assume you were not first and aren't going to receive the book;

(3) You must assure me that you're a student, not some fully-employed person who could easily·pay for the book; and

(4) You must promise to pass the book on, the same way, with the same conditions, when you no longer need it.

Any takers?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net

Post Edited (Carl Hayes) : 11/25/2008 7:59:07 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-11-25 19:57
    Carl your post is hijacking this thread and should be in the Sandbox anyway. Please post for sale items there and create new thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-25 20:00
    Hey, It's not for sale. It's free. I put it in this thread because Mike recommended that particular book to the original poster.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net