Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
gyro sensor — Parallax Forums

gyro sensor

HuskerHusker Posts: 15
edited 2008-11-24 16:12 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a gyro sensor that interfaces well with the bs2 for a reasonable price?· I have the parallax accelerometer and it is so easy to use.· I wish they made a gyro one too.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-11-23 06:06
    No.

I wish Parallax made a gyro too (Cmon Parallax!) Anyway, most (reasonably good) gyros seem to be $100 or more. I've looked at some that Sparkfun sells, but I haven't had a need for one yet.
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2008-11-24 06:42
    I'd like to see them (or someone) make a good fluxgate or magnetoresistive compass with tilt and dip correction and a simple serial interface, perhaps using the Philips KMZ51 and KMZ52. But I guess if I want one badly enough I'll have to design and build it myself, which I'm sure I can do but it'll be a lot of work -- not to mention that these devices are available only as surface-mount devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2008-11-24 08:21
    You can get a low cost GWS Piezo Gyro PK 3 which is popular for humanoid robots such as Robonova. Some prudent shopping should net one under $50.

"GWS PG-03 Piezo Gyro. This tiny gyro is about 1" square and weighs less than 0.3 oz! Piezo gyros can be used in robotics for balancing, or to detect rotation, or to drive a "tracking" servo which continues to point to a fixed object even if your robot turns."

humanoido
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-11-24 15:30
    Folks -

Here is the gyro humanoido was talking about on eBay at a price lower than even humanoido expected. Here is a link to the eBay "Buy Now" GWS Piezo Gyro: http://tinyurl.com/5fy6ww

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-11-24 16:12
    It's also regularly only $38.50 at TowerHobbies:

www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=pg-03&search=Go

and similar prices at other places:
    www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-control-slot-cars/GWSPG03.html

I see some other locations selling it for $50, so as humanoido said, prudent shopping is a good idea.