Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Regarding TCS230 — Parallax Forums

Regarding TCS230

thavathava Posts: 17
edited 2008-11-23 19:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, Im thava, im intrested in using TCS230 in my final year project, i have been doin research on TCS 230 for some time, yet i cant get solution for some of my questions. The question goes like this.

What is the max numbers of color that TCS230 can actually read?

When i buy a TCS 230 chip, can i directly plug and play into my microprocessor(of course after programming my microprocessor), or i need to programme TCS 230 separately, the actual point i need to know whether it comes as an empty chip or i can directly read colors with that?

Can i do a project on TCS 230 using a PIC Microprocessor? can TCS230DB go with PIC?

I really need good feedback on this, please help me out, i would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-11-22 13:10
    thava -

Here is a link (below) to the standard documentation that Parallax provides. Almost any product that Parallax sells will have a similar web page, with down-loadable information which you can review, even before you purchase their products. Here is the link: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ColorLight/tabid/175/CategoryID/50/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/429/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

It may be best to COPY and PASTE that link into your browsers address bar, because of its length.

There may be other documentation as well, probably in the "Stamps in Class" area of the Parallax web site. If there is, I'm sure someone else will mention it, once they see your message.

I hope that the resource link above, or some later link that may be left by others will answer all your questions. I've never used that particular sensor myself.

Best of luck with your senior project.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • thavathava Posts: 17
    edited 2008-11-23 10:47
    Hi Mr Bruce,

Thank you for your reply Mr Bruce, really appreciate it, anyway the link you have attached, i have checked it our before this, but its about TCS230DB, which is fully assembled by Parallax. so there is still no answer for my questions yet, anyway thank you for your concern Mr Bruce.

Thank you.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2008-11-23 11:12
    thava -

I'm just curious, why do you feel there is going to be a difference between the "raw" chip, and the one mounted on a PCB with an appropriate lens, etc? The basis of the unit is going to be the same, I would certainly think. I suppose it will take someone from Parallax to give you better answers than that found in the provided documentation.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When all else fails, try inserting a new battery.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-11-23 19:44
    thava,

Either the TCS230 chip or the TCS230-DB module can be interfaced with nearly any microcontroller, since the output of each is purely digital. The number of colors that can be detected is nominally limited only by the resolution used to measure the output frequency or period. For example, with eight bits of resolution per color component, you could sense 2563 (16 million) different colors. However, in the extremes of resolution, you will be limited by thermal noise in the chip, as well as small lighting fluctuations.

If you have never used the TCS230 before (or even if you have), the TCS230-DB module confers several distinct advantages: 1) a premounted chip, which obviates the need for surface-mount soldering, 2) a current-controlled white light source, and 3) a lens, which confines the sensed area and eliminates stray light from interfering with the measurement. Since the TCS230-DB can also plug directly into Parallax's BS2pe Motherboard, it's possible to configure a compact color sensing system with little effort.

-Phil