Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
thermal imaging camera and propeller ? — Parallax Forums

thermal imaging camera and propeller ?

nemesiswesnemesiswes Posts: 17
edited 2008-11-20 09:54 in Propeller 1
hey i have an idea that requires me to get input from a·thermal imaging camera like this one http://www.goinfrared.com/cameras/Automation/thermovision-a20m-infraredcamera-researcher·and use the input in the propeller. would it be possible to link the two?· the site says the camera has C++/Visual Basic Support and i was wondering if the propeller can use c++ or visual basic ?

i am somewhat new to the propeller and microcontrollers in general and so i need help?

thanks for any help at all, later

Comments

• Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-11-20 09:23
    Have you checked the price of those cameras?

They use firewire as an interface so would be with a PC. The C++/Visual basic refers to a software development kit used on the PC.

I don't think the propeller would be suitable for interfacing not least because of limited memory.

Graham
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-11-20 09:54
    They actually do three versions. Firewire/Ethernet/Composite. You *might* be able to do something with a composite output if you put some form of external frame grabber together but the likelihood of being able to do any form of accurate measurement is very small. They specify a 16 bit grabber resolution which is bluntly, bloody difficult to do at the best of times.

Would be a fun toy to play with. The ~$400 USD per month lease is a bit spendy for me though.
    Frankly if you can afford to buy one of those beasites you should really be able to afford a little processor PC to bolt behind it.

It depends on what you are trying to do with the camera. If you are trying to do measurement then pretty much forget it, but if you are doing something like heat motion detection or target tracking then there are cheaper IR modules available. Export restrictions can be tough to get around. I had to get 7 modules from the US into a middle eastern country a while back and the paperwork required at high level had to be seen to be believed. IR sensitive cameras above a certain (very low) resolution and sensitivity are classed as munitions.

... they _are_ loads of fun to play with though [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!