Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speed Controller — Parallax Forums

Speed Controller

ChazChaz Posts: 18
edited 2008-11-20 05:22 in BASIC Stamp
I have a question that i have not been able to find a clear or definite answer to. Can the basic stamp directly control a speed controller for a 3 phase dc motor. I am not interested in delicate control but for my purpose i merely need a full throttle forward command. Is it possible? Do i need a pwm generator? If not how?

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-20 04:39
    Do you have a particular controller in mind? The IR controller whose datasheet I looked at requires some digital inputs (for direction and braking) and some analog inputs (for setting the speed). A Stamp can trivially provide the digital inputs and the PWM statement (see the manual for details) can be used to produce an analog voltage with a few external passive parts.
  • ChazChaz Posts: 18
    edited 2008-11-20 05:22
    Yeah i have three castle creation speed controllers that i would like to control through my stamp the 2px. I read that the command to control the speed controllers can take up all the stamp's processing power somewhere on the internet, not sure if true. I also am not familiar with the voltage that the speed controller recognizes for each signal and if or how it would be sent. I looked at the pwm statement in the manual but do not understand how it would apply to my situation since it seems, as i read it, it is supposed to be used directly with a capacitor then a motor, not through a speed controller. I may be wrong, please correct me. I would like to be able to also take in input from sensors so if this task takes up all my processing power then i am in trouble.

provide links if you have website sources