Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
frequency reader — Parallax Forums

frequency reader

Bobb FwedBobb Fwed Posts: 1,119
edited 2008-11-18 21:49 in Propeller 1
I need to build a simple frequency reader out of the propeller chip (not so I can see the frequency, but so the prop can notify me if the frequencies are too far off). I am working with equipment with a significant amount of interference between components. With our oscilloscopes we can read the equipment frequency with relative ease, and a basic transistor setup *attached*, works until we get more than one piece of equipment running at the same time.
The component we read the frequency off of produces a 3-5V range (with very weak amperage potential), but doesn't ever seem to achieve 0V (earth). The "top" of the curve (not a sine wave) gets very messy with the other pieces of equipment around, so a lower voltage trigger would be nice. The frequency is fairly low 500Hz to 5KHz is all we need, with a resolution or +/-2Hz would be fine.
I'm relatively new to electronic hardware, my emphasis has always been in programming. I'm guessing there may be a solution with an opamp or simply using a high frequency voltage reader.
I am using the propeller and I'd love if it had built in ADC! The trigger I would like is if it would trigger "low" when the minimum input voltage (minV) is achieved, then set "high" when the voltage is at minV + 2V or 1.5V.
But I have no idea how I would even start this.
1521 x 744 - 40K

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-17 23:43
    Perhaps a Schmitt trigger would work for your application, this is a special type of input which has hysterisis and is frequently used to clean up a noisey digital signal (technically the input doesn't need to be digital, but the output will always be digital). Hysterisis is where the voltage levels for transitioning to a high logic state is greater than the voltage level for transitioning to a low state. The standard levels are 0.55xVcc and 0.65xVcc, so for a 3.3V supply the levels would be 1.815V and 2.145V. So to transition from low to high a voltage equal to or greater than 2.145V must be applied to the input, conversely to transition from a high to low a voltage equal or less than 1.815V has to be on the input.

An example of a noninverting type is 74HC7014, an example of inverting type is 74HC14.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-11-17 23:49
    You can also use the Propeller itself, along with a couple resistors, to implement a Schmitt trigger, as shown here. One advantage of "rolling your own" like this is that you can set the hysteresis band to whatever you want.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Just a few PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Bobb FwedBobb Fwed Posts: 1,119
    edited 2008-11-18 00:06
    I believe I tried an IC schmitt at one point (that was a while ago, I may have better luck with my experience now), and the problem was that the low side of the input frequency didn't go low enough to trigger it. Since the reference voltage on my board is (close to) earth ground, and the equipment (with an AC origin) has an arbitrary voltage range.
    Is there anyway to pull a low voltage lower without affecting the higher voltage (as much)?
    edited 2008-11-18 00:46
    Bobb,

By using a resistor network on your input, you can set the "slicing level" almost anywhere you want. The Propeller's digital threshold is Vdd/2, but you can shift this up or down by biasing the input signal using a resistive divider, as shown here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=56797

Resistors R1, R2, and R3 set the bias point. Resistor R4 provides positive feedback for the Schmitt trigger effect. The cap will help to filter out some of the spikes you see on your positive excursions, which will help to make the bias point less critical.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    420 x 213 - 2K
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2008-11-18 00:49
    The ideas mentioned earlier may work, but if you have problems take a look at the attached data sheet. The LM1/2/339 is inexpensive and reliable.
    edited 2008-11-18 01:05
    @phil, i will try that tomorrow. Thanks, that may work as a solution.
    edited 2008-11-18 17:49
    OK, I setup the hardware, and it seems to work fine, but the schmitt is giving me issues, it seems the cog cannot keep up with the loop i wrote. Is there a faster way to do this without using PASM (or can someone write some PASM that does this for me)?
      REPEAT                           
        waitpeq(|< FREQ_IN, |< FREQ_IN, 0)
        OUTA[noparse][[/noparse]SCHMITT]~~
        waitpne(|< FREQ_IN, |< FREQ_IN, 0)
        OUTA[noparse][[/noparse]SCHMITT]~
        freq++

The freq variable is global, which seems to slow it down a bit, but without it I only get about 100Hz higher before it starts petering out. I get up to about 1650Hz without freq, and 1550Hz with. I need to go much higher than this.
    edited 2008-11-18 18:34
    Quick question before supplying code, does the freq variable get changed by any other section of code? Reading the value doesn't count, I'm just interested if freq gets written to by any other portion of your code (the code for each case is slightly different).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-11-18 18:37
    Yes. Another cog reads freq every second, then sets it back to 0.
    edited 2008-11-18 19:47
    It would be better if you didn't reset freq to zero. That way you won't have two cogs writing the same variable, which can lead to conflicts. A better solution is just to read the freq variable, subtract the prior value, then use that difference as your reading. Don't worry about overflow: the subtraction will take care of that by itself.

As to the Spin code not keeping up, you can use an internal hardware counter to handle the hysteresis feedback and count edges for you. This requires an external inverter, since the counters can only provide negative feedback, not positive. Or you can use PASM (whose reputation for being difficult is largely undeserved, BTW). Which would you prefer?

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 11/18/2008 7:57:00 PM GMT
    edited 2008-11-18 20:33
    Ok here is the equivalent of your code in assembly:

CON
       freq_in = 15
       schmitt = 8
    '...
    VAR
       long freq
    '...
    PUB go
       cognew(@fcntr, @freq)
       '...

'...
    DAT
    fcntr   mov frqadr, par
    loop    waitpeq fin, fin
            or outa, schm
            waitpne fin, fin 
            andn outa, schm
            rdlong ftmp, frqadr
            add ftmp, #1
            wrlong ftmp, frqadr
            jmp #loop

fin    LONG |< freq_in
    schm   LONG |< schmitt
    frqadr LONG 0
    ftmp   LONG 0

Phil is correct that you can run into issues with having two places in code updating the same variable. Let me illustrate this to you, the incrementing of freq is done over two hub access windows. The first hub access is to get the current freq value, the second is to write back the incremented value. Now lets say your other code sets freq to zero in between those two hub accesses. When the assembly code goes to write the incremented variable, it overwrites the 0 with the incremented value which is not what you want because the next time your code goes to read the value it will be be the value accumulated over 2 seconds rather than the 1 second you wanted. You can use the locks to make the operation atomic or·you could use a threshold detector (if·freq is greater than some value) then subtract previous value to get current value, or you could not set freq to 0 and just subtract the·previous freq·value from the current freq value (the most straightforward solution). If you use the last solution you can eliminate the rdlong and the cog's ftmp becomes the "master" copy that the cog continuously updates to hub memory.

He is also correct that·a counter can be adapted for use with this and would not require a seperate cog running assembly.

PS I picked arbitrary values for the pins connected to the frequency in and schmitt, change thier constant value to reflect your setup.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 11/18/2008 8:44:52 PM GMT
    edited 2008-11-18 21:42
    Currently the only problem (with my simple code) that could happen to freq is that it is 1 value less than what it should be. But I do understand the forward-thinking precautions. I will take that into consideration.
    And, thank you for the PASM code. One of these days I will sit down and force myself to learn PASM.
    edited 2008-11-18 21:49
    Bobb,

All frequency counters experience a one-bit "bobble" in their counting. This is because there's no way to predict where in the timing interval the first count and/or last count will occur. One way to minimize this effect is to use a longer timing interval and divide the result by the length of the interval. Another way is to begin your timing interval right at an input edge.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔