Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Moding an Arcade Machine to a Propeller/hydra. Portrait vs Landscape screen. — Parallax Forums

Moding an Arcade Machine to a Propeller/hydra. Portrait vs Landscape screen.

DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
edited 2008-12-07 01:25 in Propeller 1
I purchased a Mrs. Pacman full size arcade machine a while back and I'm finally ready to start on this project. I will be replacing the existing screen with a "regular" TV. The screen in the cabinet is originated Portrait (on it's side) so if I use any of the existing games for the hydra, they would be sideways. is there an easy way to rotate the graphics? (I'm guess no) and if so what does that do to the resolution. the 19" screen would be more like a 12" tv screen. not good!
I want to keep the arcade machine intact as possible but I see the best option is to physically rotate the screen. would this be your consensus also?

I'm open for other options as well.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
DGSwaner

"When in doubt, use C4" - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

Comments

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-11-20 21:54
    If the games used bitmapped buffer, then it wouldn't be a big deal, but since everything is rendered scanline by scanline there is no easy way to fix that since you would have to do a lot of modification to the code.
    BTW, fix up the MS Pacman and get a different arcade machine to use for your Hydra [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2008-12-07 01:25
    You can actually go inside a set and rotate the yoke around, then play with the width and height of the total screen size. But, you will loose color since the RGB mask will be completely out of alignment as well as the shadowmask, etc. But, if you had a mono B/W game, you can sorta do this. Very dangerous of course rotating around the electromagnetic deflection yoke and you should know what you're doing.

But, other than using that "hardware" trick, the only other way to do this would be with a set that landscape modes in it and rotation. One trick might be to use a NTSC to VGA converter then get yourself a VGA LCD monitor that has rotation and then you can do it like that.

Andre'