Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"No BASIC Stamps Found" — Parallax Forums

"No BASIC Stamps Found"

g8_big_geekg8_big_geek Posts: 15
edited 2008-12-06 15:36 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all!

Sitting here, frustrated as ever...I have been using my Parallax·microcontroller to operate various things from my desktop with a lot of success. I'm currently using BASIC Stamp v2.2 and I was going to bring something I had worked on for a presentation, so I loaded the software onto my laptop only *poof* "No BASIC Stamps Found" keeps appearing when I try to run the various program(s).

Facts and troubleshooting already done:
  • I am using Windows XP on my laptop
  • I have tried disabling the "FIFO buffers" under Device Manager, Multiport Communications Por (COM1), Port Settings, Advanced in accordance with http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37378·help information.
  • Have tried downloading BASIC Stamp v2.4 from Parallax support advice provided, but to no avail. Still getting the same message "No BASIC Stamps found"
  • Under "Identify" (Ctrl+I) it shows "Port: COM1, Device Type: _______, Version_____, Loopback: Yes, Echo: No"
  • Have compared the settings to the ones on my desktop and they both match.

I have tried everything I can think of and am completely out of ideas. If you can offer any new ideas that would be wonderful. Thank you everyone!

Comments

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2008-11-16 04:05
    Try to (re)install the FTDI drivers: http://www.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=530

·
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-11-16 04:30
    Can you describe your setup in a little more detail?

- How is your laptop connected to the Stamp? Is it a direct serial connection or is it USB with a USB to serial converter?

- What Stamp are you trying to talk to? BS2SX, BS2p40, etc?

- What is your Stamp living? (On a Parallax development board, Home grown board, breadboard, etc?)

- If this is something custom do you have a schematic?

- Do you have any weird Virus scanners running that might decide to block access to the Serial port?

- Is is just something simple like not having a decent power supply when you are mobile with the laptop for your Stamp?

Answering as many of these will help others help you find out what the issue is.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-11-16 17:46
    I also vote for "double check your power supply". If you're using batteries, put in new ones.
    I'll bet that about 60% of my frustrating problems with these things were resolved by double-checking the power supply.
  • g8_big_geekg8_big_geek Posts: 15
    edited 2008-11-16 20:09
    The laptop COM1 port is the same port you use to plug in another monitor. The COM1 port works well for that purpose, so I know that the port is okay. So, no it's not a USB serial converter. It is the straight old-school plug in.

I'm not very schooled in the art of BASIC stamp, but the commands I type when I begin my stamp programs is:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

The kind of board I have is a 75.00 one from Radio Shack. It is a BASIC Stamp HomeWork Board. It's like a beginners board. It came with a little "homework/study guide" also.

The "custom"-ized part of my board would just be that I plugged various wires in the board to power the various switches, so there wasn't much customizing that I have done other than that.

My laptop does not have internet access so there is not a virus scanner that should be working overtime, but I do know that Macfee (or Mcfee) is running on the taskbar (near the clock, on the right hand side).

The power supply is straight from the wall. No "battery only" attempts from the laptop or the BASIC Stamp. I used to use the 9v battery on the BASIC Stamp, but it would run out too darn fast, so now it's jacked into the wall.

Again, the BASIC Stamp runs great on the desktop, but when I switch over to the laptop it doesn't.

I did try again last night and when I booted my laptop up I had the basic stamp plugged in already and down my the clock that little window popped up stating "new hardware located" and then another window popped up but it flashed too fast to read it. I don't know if it correctly identified and downloaded, I'm not sure.

I will continue trying new ideas on this end to see if I can get it to identify and work.

Any help you could provide based on this information would be wonderful. I am willing to answer questions if that assists in figuring this out.

Again, thank you so much for your interest in this [noparse]:)[/noparse] you are really great!
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-11-16 20:12
    If you can plug a monitor into "COM1", then its not a com port. Com ports have a DB9 connector while monitor ports use a DB15.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-11-16 21:11
    Okay, there are several confusing things here. First of all, the port you're using cannot be one that you plug a monitor into, as the previous reply pointed out. I suspect that you're confusing a regular 9-pin serial port with a VGA connector.

The Homework Board does not come in a USB version, so what you're using is a regular old Serial port. I was unaware (though I could be wrong) that XP does any auto-ID kind of thing with devices plugged into Serial ports (your "new hardware located" incident).

Can you confirm that you have a 9-pin serial cable connecting the Homework Board to a 9-pin male Serial connector on the laptop?

The Homework Board also does not have a power supply option other than the 9V battery connector, so when you say you're plugging it in, can we assume that you bought or made some kind of adapter that allows you to connect through the battery terminals? You might remove that and try it with a fresh 9V battery.

Now, I know you said it works fine on the desktop computer, so this is probably all red herring, but it'd help to clarify these things.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-11-16 22:22
    g8_big_geek

I didn't notice if You were useing the same Ser.Cable You used on Your desktop, on Your laptop? Thier is another type of Ser.Cable called A "NULL". I have just reached down in My box of COM Cables and grabed one, pluged it in and nothing

Next Laptop's due some weird things as far as COM ports go,And this is were I think Your Problem lies... Too start "right" click the "My Computer" icon,drop down to "Properties" left ckick.Next open up "Hardware" then "Device Manager" now srcoll down to "COM & LPT" This will show You the COM port assign.... Your DB 9 Ser.Port may be called COM5 or COM3 or 7 etc.,instead of "COM1"

If You find Your COM port Has a diff. value instead of "1" lets say "COM5" then this is a easy fix
    {$stamp BS2}
    {$pbasic 2.5}
    {$port com5}
    Remember to change the COM PORT back to COM1 for use on Your Desktop

If this dosen't work or You Don't see Your Com port, Drop another postreply and I'll show You How to set the IRQ priority to get Your COM port Back......

________________________________________________$WMc%_________________________
  • noobmunchernoobmuncher Posts: 124
    edited 2008-11-17 06:22
    Check your power supply.
    edited 2008-11-20 21:26
    Incase anyone was following this thread I was able to make contact with a rep. from parallax, turns out I have a toshiba laptop (and older modle) that has COM1 port issues with the serial port. It was recomended that I try to purchase a 'serial to USB' port adapter from Radio Shack. So, I'll be doing that as soon as I can afford and then I'll see if that works. Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and assistance! [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-11-21 03:17
    g8_big_geek

I thought for sure My remedy for the COM "PORT" would work for You...I think Your opening up a whole new can of Worms w/ this "SERIAL to USB" Adapt.er

I think A USB to SERIAL Adpt. would be better!! like the one Parallax offer's

I'll keep checkin in to see what You come up w/ to solve the COM problem.

Please postreply Your Resolution or FIX

_____Thanks ________________________$WMc%
    edited 2008-11-21 03:31
    $WMc%

Oh, thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm so all about spending less money and making things work with what I've got (me and MacGyver are tight). As for the ports, when I go under 'Device Manager', 'Ports', it shows 'Multiport Communications Port (COM1)' and 'ECP Printer Port (LPT1)'. Those are my only options for ports.

I wish I had another one to select. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall the COM1 port, but it still doesn't seem to want to communicate.

Matt~
    edited 2008-11-21 14:38
    Hello Matt,

Can you get into the BIOS setup when you start up your system? If so make sure that the COM1 isn't assigned to something silly like an Internal Modem. You may be trying to talk with that instead of your built-in COM port. The LPT1 is the Parallel port and is only used for printers or parallel devices. The original BASIC Stamp 1 would use that port for programming but otherwise it isn't needed for any current Stamp.

If you use one of the USB to Serial adapters try to get one based on the FTDI chipset. Those just seem to work without too much trouble.

Good luck,

Robert
    edited 2008-11-21 19:23
    Robert,

Thank you so much for your message. You know so much more about computers than I do. I hate to sound ignorant I'm just learning about all of this stuff....how do you go into the BIOS and check the COM1 port settings? I thought you hit, F1,F2, OR F10 when you start up. My laptop gives the option of F2 when you boot. So I select that and it gives me the following screen:

Select boot device
    [noparse][[/noparse]C]: CD-ROM
    [noparse][[/noparse]F]: FDD
    : Built-in HDD
    [noparse][[/noparse]D]: Default SYSTEM SETUP Device
    Press [noparse][[/noparse]C], [noparse][[/noparse]F], , or [noparse][[/noparse]D].

Which one should I select? I don't know where to go from here...

Matt
    edited 2008-11-21 19:41
    Okay, I got in to BIOS. I had to hit ESC key then F1. I am under the I/O PORTS
    edited 2008-11-21 19:47
    SOrry, I think I hit enter to quickly on that last message. Anyway, I went under I/O PORTS and under SERIAL it shows "COM1 (3F8H/IRQ4). I can skroll (using the space bar) and select other port options. The BUILT-IN MODEM is using "COM2 (2F8H/IRQ3). Do you have any suggestions as to what I should select from here that might work? I'm totally open. Thanks for everything [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-11-21 19:51
    Unfortunately not all the BIOS setup screens are the same. Early PC's had their serial ports usually configured by jumpers or DIP switch settings on the cards. As they got integrated into the Chipsets on the motherboard they added code to the BIOS setup to configure them.

You may want to look for integrate peripherals or COM parts. It may have a setting to point COM1 to an Internal modem. You may be able to set the real serial port (the one using a DB9 on the back) to COM2 so it won't conflict with the modem if that is where the problem is. I haven't used you exact model laptop but have done this for other brands in the past. You may have to pull down the user manual for your particular laptop to find all the settings that are valid for your system. One of the Search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc) should turn up something.

When your Stamp software shows no BASIC Stamps found does it find the loopback or get the echo?

Robert
    edited 2008-11-21 20:02
    okay, I'll google around for a while and see what I can come up with. as for the message it shows Under "Identify" (Ctrl+I) it shows "Port: COM1, Device Type: _______, Version_____, Loopback: Yes, Echo: No" I have no clue what that means other than it's not communicating correctly.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2008-11-21 21:48
    g8_big_geek,
    ·
    Can you please call into technical support at 888-997-8267 at your earliest convenience?·I will help identify what seems to be the communication stumbling block; and also issue an RMA if needed. We want to make sure you are up and running ASAP.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Joshua Donelson

www.parallax.com
  • pietzeekoepietzeekoe Posts: 8
    edited 2008-11-22 18:56
    hello

I have a simular problem.
    I have a BOE-bot I use the battery pack.
    When I try to identefy the thing it show Device Type:______Version:_______Loopback: Yes Echo: Yes
    I work on a XP desktop I tryed serial and usb with the same results.
    I did notice that the power-led isn't burning very bright.
    I didn't try using all new battery's but just replaced a few.
    I already disebled the FIFO buffer.

Please help

Floris
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-22 19:02
    pietzeekoe,
    What you describe is usually caused by inadequate power to the BoeBot. When you replace batteries, you must replace all of them unless you know how much power each cell has and know that some are lower than others. Usually, they all discharge about the same and one weak battery is enough to prevent the Stamp from working properly.
  • pietzeekoepietzeekoe Posts: 8
    edited 2008-11-22 21:21
    thanks!

I'll try.See if it will work.
    But if it doesn't does somebody have outher suggestions?

Floris
    edited 2008-11-23 04:40
    pietzeekoe

If what Mr.Green suggested doesn't work, Then just drop a postreply to this thread. If it does fix the problem then a simple postreply with "that fixed it" is in order.This forum is all about gaining knowledge. The more that goes in the more that comes out

_____________________________$WMc%_________Always thinking Positive++++++
    edited 2008-11-23 19:11
    The only thing that is different·btwn the error messages we are rcv'ing is your echo has "yes" mine has "no". I'm still working on mine. Again, it works great on the desktop, just not on the laptop. The power supply is constant as I have it plugged into an electrical outlet via an adapter from radio shack so I know the power supply is ruled out. I'm beginning to think it's my aged laptop that is causing the issue.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Matt M.

Favorite Quote:
    "Fix it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without." Gordon B. Hinckley
    edited 2008-12-01 03:09
    g8_big_geek

Did You ever get the serial port working, on the old laptop????

_____________________$WMc%_____________
    edited 2008-12-01 16:45
    Hi!
    No, I sure haven't. I have been so busy with the holiday's and church lately. I have tried everyone's suggestions though and none of them have worked. I have deactivated the fax modem, tried switching to different com ports, deactivating the IR.

The only thing I haven't done yet is called support for a refund (partly b/c I don't think it's their equipt. that is the prob, I think it has something to do with my laptop, I just need to think hard enough about what it is).

I did want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far though you guys are so smart and have been opening my eyes to a lot of possiblities!

Oh yeah, and HAPPY HOLIDAY'S everyone!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Matt M.

Favorite Quote:
    "Fix it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without." Gordon B. Hinckley
    edited 2008-12-01 22:12
    Mr. Matt M.
    I hate to here "NO" on the COM Port.I don't know what test equp. You might have, So I'm gonna assume "none".But the $stamp and the Editor software can be used as a serial test device.
    You might have already tried this,I don't now. But You can use the "DEBUG" command as a serial port checker. Take a look at Experiment#14 in the StampWorks Manule."SW20-EX14-DeBounce.BS2" It uses "DEBUG" and is really short. Load this in the BS2 from Your desktop, Test the input from the buttons,You should see some BIN#s on the DEBUG screen. Now hook the serial cable to Your Laptop.start the editor,now w/ a blank editor window.press (Ctrl )+(D) this will open a DEBUG terminal from here You'll need to open a COM port(upper left)open COM1 press the "Buttons" if no BIN#s in the DEBUG screen select another COM port,etc.
    This is in the thinking that the right COM port isn't selected,This is a common problem w/ older laptops. If this doesn't work,I would look at an APP. that is tyeing up the COM port. Remmeber the serial port is dated Tech., it should work w/ Your dated laptop.

__________________________$WMc%___________
    edited 2008-12-01 22:19
    If the entire set works fine on your Desktop system then that certainly points to the Laptop as having the issue. If the Serial port is bad you could try getting one of the FTDI based USB to Serial adapters and use that to talk to the Stamp board.

On the other hand if you want to do some more troubleshooting you could download "portmon" from SysInternals (now MicroSoft) and watch the activity for the COM port:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx

Good Luck,

Robert
    edited 2008-12-02 01:11
    RobotWorkshop

I downloaded the link You posted above.After unzipping it and a virus scan I tried to install it. I got an error from "Portmon" and it needed to close.??? I have tried a few diff. ways to install this, none have worked. Is their something special That needs to be done
    to install this software????

_______________________$WMc%__________
    edited 2008-12-02 04:32
    You shouldn't have to do anything special to run the tool. It doesn't even need to be installed. The first time you run it you need to accept the license but otherwise all their tools run clean without installing a lot of extra DLL's or junk on your system. All of those tools are very well written and have helped track down all sorts of odd PC problems.
  • David TanDavid Tan Posts: 12
    edited 2008-12-06 15:36
    Really Thanks a lot...
    Finally i manage to solve the problem...
    The problem is the battery...