Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller system clock performance — Parallax Forums

Propeller system clock performance

Scott LewisScott Lewis Posts: 18
edited 2008-11-17 11:58 in Propeller 1
I am not sure if the performance I am seeing is accurate. I have the propeller education board with a 5.0 MHz crystal and am using the 16x PLL to get a clock of 80 MHz. Is this clock split between all the cores, resulting in 10 MHz per core, or does each core get the whole 80 MHz.

I ran a test to see how fast a core could switch an output pin and do nothing else and i got about 43 kHz, I think it should be more than this. Here is the code I used and a screenshot from my oscilloscope.

CON
  _xinfreq = 5_000_000
  _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x

var
long stack[noparse][[/noparse]20]
PUB main

cognew(start(15),@stack[noparse][[/noparse]0])

Pub start(Pin)
  dira[noparse][[/noparse]Pin]~~
  repeat
      !outa[noparse][[/noparse]Pin]

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-14 22:18
    Everyone gets the 80MHz, each assembly instruction takes 4 clock cycles to execute for a throughput of 20MIPS per cog. If you want to output a fast signal you will need to program in assembly, use a counter, or use an already written object that has an assembly driver for generating frequencies.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-11-14 22:18
    1) All of the cores run off the system clock, so, unless they're stopped or waiting for something, they're executing most instructions every 4 clock cycles.

2) Your program is written in Spin which is compiled into byte codes that are interpreted by a program running in a cog. The speed you're seeing is about right. If you rewrote the program in the Propeller's assembly language, you'd be able to toggle an I/O pin every 8 clock cycles (about 100ns).

3) As Paul mentioned, you can use the cog counters (see application note #001) from either Spin or assembly language to generate pulse trains of at least 128MHz

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 11/14/2008 10:23:57 PM GMT
  • edited 2008-11-14 22:28
    You'll also get to generating higher frequency signals with counters in the Counter Modules and Circuit Applications PE Kit Lab.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-11-14 23:49
    A follow-up to Mike's #2:
    If you use the following code:
    CON
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x

pin = 15

var
    PUB main

pinum := |<15
      cognew(@start,0)

DAT
    start mov dira, pinum
    loop  xor outa, pinum
          jmp #loop
    pinum LONG 0

it will toggle the output pin @ 10 MHz, this is the fastest you can drive a pin from code. Using the counter can achieve frequencies up to 128 MHz when using the PLL mode of operation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Scott LewisScott Lewis Posts: 18
    edited 2008-11-15 00:05
    thanks for all the replies
  • Andrew E MileskiAndrew E Mileski Posts: 77
    edited 2008-11-17 11:58
    Mike Green said...
    3) As Paul mentioned, you can use the cog counters (see application note #001) from either Spin or assembly language to generate pulse trains of at least 128MHz
    You can also use the counters in a pseudo "one-shot" mode to generate single pulses from 1 to 2^31 cycles long (I don't think the app note mentions this specifically).

Example, say a N cycle positive pulse:
    - set FRQ to 1
    - set PHS to 232 - N
    - set counter to NCO mode %00100 (PHS bit 31 = output)
    - waitcnt for longer pulses > 4 cycles (calculate beforehand)
    - stop the counter (CTR = 0) or reload PHS

How it works: this sets the counter to output a very slow square wave of 2^32 cycles (about 54 seconds at 80 MHz), but more importantly starts the counter N cycles before it is about to transition from 1 to 0. There is lots of time after the transition to stop the counter (pseudo "one-shot") or restart it.

If you want to send out back-to-back short pulses like this, then you have to use multiple synchronized cogs (waitcnt), as the counter setup takes at least 16 cycles per pulse.